Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Maxwell, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
m Adam moved page Maxwell to Maxwell, Kentucky
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Maxwell, otherwise known as Newville, is situated on
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
the Daviess County line between McLean and Ohio Counties.
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Maxwell, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Former community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Also known as''' || Newville
|-
| '''Laid out''' || 1867, by James and Gordon Robison
|-
| '''Post office''' || 1893–1907
|-
| '''First postmaster''' || W. V. Crow
|-
| '''Location''' || On the Daviess County line between McLean and Ohio Counties
|}
</div>


Newville was laid out in 1867 by James and Gordon Robison,
'''Maxwell''', otherwise known as '''Newville''', is situated on the [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] line between McLean and Ohio Counties, Kentucky. Laid out as Newville in 1867, the village took the name Maxwell when the U.S. Post Office found its original name already in use elsewhere in the state.
who also built the first log home in the area. This home was
 
used as a shop and was lived in by J.S.H. Kigel along with William
==Founding==
Hunter who was a shoemaker. In the early days there was a
Newville was laid out in 1867 by James and Gordon Robison, who also built the first log home in the area. This home was used as a shop and was lived in by J.S.H. Kigel along with William Hunter, who was a shoemaker.
woodworking shop and Joseph Brown’s blacksmith shop. There
 
were two prominent physicians in Newville’s early days. William
==Early Businesses and Professions==
Barnhill and J.B. Cox both came into the area in the 1870s
In the early days there was a woodworking shop and Joseph Brown’s blacksmith shop.
and 1880s. The first school house was built and operated by J. H.
 
Shackelford, a Baptist Minister. In 1877, B.F. Riley, J.H. Shackelford,
There were two prominent physicians in Newville’s early days. William Barnhill and J.B. Cox both came into the area in the 1870s and 1880s.
and J.P. Cox made an unsuccessful attempt to incorporate
 
the village. When trying to draw up a charter, the village was
The first school house was built and operated by J. H. Shackelford, a Baptist minister.
shown as part of three which made the charter incorrect and the
 
attempt failed. There were two mercantile stores in the community,
There were two mercantile stores in the community: the J.H. Davis mercantile store, established in 1867, and the W.V. Crowe mercantile store, established in 1876. These stores ceased to exist when W.G. Hayden opened a large mercantile store in the 1920s that was a center of commerce for many miles around.
J.H. Davis mercantile store established in 1867 and the W.V.
 
Crowe mercantile store established 1876. These stores ceased to
==Incorporation Attempt==
exist when W.G. Hayden opened a large mercantile store in the
In 1877, B.F. Riley, J.H. Shackelford, and J.P. Cox made an unsuccessful attempt to incorporate the village. When trying to draw up a charter, the village was shown as part of three counties, which made the charter incorrect, and the attempt failed.
1920s that was a center of commerce for many miles around.
 
The post office at Newville was established in 1893 and its first
==Post Office and the Name Maxwell==
post master was W. V. Crow. Soon after, the government changed
The post office at Newville was established in 1893, and its first postmaster was W. V. Crow. Soon after, the government changed the post office name to Maxwell because there was another post office in the state with the name Newville.
the post office name to Maxwell because there was another post
 
office in the state with the name Newville. Soon after the name
Soon after the name change, the post office was discontinued in 1907 and the mail was sent to [[Livia, Kentucky|Livia]]. From this time, the community was mostly called Maxwell.
change, the post office was discontinued in 1907 and the mail
 
was sent to Livia. From this time, the community was mostly
==Legacy==
called Maxwell. Today, one of the only places that truly holds the
Today, one of the only places that truly holds the name of Maxwell is the [[Red Hill, Kentucky|Red Hill]]–Maxwell Road in southeastern Daviess County.
name of Maxwell is the Red Hill–Maxwell Road in southeastern
Daviess County.


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 01:27, 21 August 2026

Maxwell, Kentucky
Type Former community
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Also known as Newville
Laid out 1867, by James and Gordon Robison
Post office 1893–1907
First postmaster W. V. Crow
Location On the Daviess County line between McLean and Ohio Counties

Maxwell, otherwise known as Newville, is situated on the Daviess County line between McLean and Ohio Counties, Kentucky. Laid out as Newville in 1867, the village took the name Maxwell when the U.S. Post Office found its original name already in use elsewhere in the state.

Founding

Newville was laid out in 1867 by James and Gordon Robison, who also built the first log home in the area. This home was used as a shop and was lived in by J.S.H. Kigel along with William Hunter, who was a shoemaker.

Early Businesses and Professions

In the early days there was a woodworking shop and Joseph Brown’s blacksmith shop.

There were two prominent physicians in Newville’s early days. William Barnhill and J.B. Cox both came into the area in the 1870s and 1880s.

The first school house was built and operated by J. H. Shackelford, a Baptist minister.

There were two mercantile stores in the community: the J.H. Davis mercantile store, established in 1867, and the W.V. Crowe mercantile store, established in 1876. These stores ceased to exist when W.G. Hayden opened a large mercantile store in the 1920s that was a center of commerce for many miles around.

Incorporation Attempt

In 1877, B.F. Riley, J.H. Shackelford, and J.P. Cox made an unsuccessful attempt to incorporate the village. When trying to draw up a charter, the village was shown as part of three counties, which made the charter incorrect, and the attempt failed.

Post Office and the Name Maxwell

The post office at Newville was established in 1893, and its first postmaster was W. V. Crow. Soon after, the government changed the post office name to Maxwell because there was another post office in the state with the name Newville.

Soon after the name change, the post office was discontinued in 1907 and the mail was sent to Livia. From this time, the community was mostly called Maxwell.

Legacy

Today, one of the only places that truly holds the name of Maxwell is the Red Hill–Maxwell Road in southeastern Daviess County.