Maxwell, Kentucky

From History of Owensboro
(Redirected from Maxwell)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Maxwell, otherwise known as Newville, is situated on the Daviess County line between McLean and Ohio Counties.

Newville was laid out in 1867 by James and Gordon Robison, who also built the first log home in the area. This home was used as a shop and was lived in by J.S.H. Kigel along with William Hunter who was a shoemaker. In the early days there was a woodworking shop and Joseph Brown’s blacksmith shop. There were two prominent physicians in Newville’s early days. William Barnhill and J.B. Cox both came into the area in the 1870s and 1880s. The first school house was built and operated by J. H. Shackelford, a Baptist Minister. In 1877, B.F. Riley, J.H. Shackelford, and J.P. Cox made an unsuccessful attempt to incorporate the village. When trying to draw up a charter, the village was shown as part of three which made the charter incorrect and the attempt failed. There were two mercantile stores in the community, J.H. Davis mercantile store established in 1867 and the W.V. Crowe mercantile store established 1876. These stores ceased to exist when W.G. Hayden opened a large mercantile store in the 1920s that was a center of commerce for many miles around. The post office at Newville was established in 1893 and its first post master was W. V. Crow. Soon after, the government changed the post office name to Maxwell because there was another post office in the state with the name Newville. Soon after the name change, the post office was discontinued in 1907 and the mail was sent to Livia. From this time, the community was mostly called Maxwell. Today, one of the only places that truly holds the name of Maxwell is the Red Hill–Maxwell Road in southeastern Daviess County.