Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Grissom's Landing: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:1886-Grissoms-landing.jpg|thumb|right|1886 Directory Listing for Grissom's Landing]]
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Grissom's Landing
|-
| '''Type''' || Former river village
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Named for''' || Alfred Grissom, settled 1856
|-
| '''Post office''' || 1868–1899; renamed Grissom 1895
|-
| '''First postmaster''' || Thomas Monarch
|-
| '''Location''' || Ohio River, nine miles below Owensboro
|}
</div>
 
'''Grissom's Landing''' was a village on the Ohio River in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, nine miles below [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]]. Most of the town moved to [[Stanley, Kentucky|Stanley]] when the railroad was built through there in 1888.
 
==Namesake==
==Namesake==
The town was named after Alfred Grissom who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.
The town was named after Alfred Grissom, who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.


==Town Information==
==Town Information==
Grissom's Landing is situated on the Ohio River, nine miles below Owensboro.
[[File:1886-Grissoms-landing.jpg|thumb|right|1886 Directory Listing for Grissom's Landing]]
 
In 1874, the ''Owensboro Monitor'' stated that Grissom Landing did not "show off" well from the river and one would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village. It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere, composed of Messrs. Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.
In 1874, the Owensboro Monitor stated that Grissom Landing did not “show off” well from the river and would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village. It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere composed of Messers, Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.


As of 1883, there were two stores, a hotel, post office, and U. S. Express Company agency.
As of 1883, there were two stores, a hotel, post office, and U. S. Express Company agency.


In 1888, the railroad was being built through [[Stanley]] and most of this town moved there.  
In 1888, the railroad was being built through Stanley and most of this town moved there.


The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890 since that would help them transport whiskey via the railroad.
The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890, since that would help them transport whiskey via the railroad.


==1904 Land Sale==
[[File:Grissom_Landing_Sale.jpg|thumb|right|The Messenger, Thursday Jan 24, 1904 - Land Sale at Grissom Landing]]
[[File:Grissom_Landing_Sale.jpg|thumb|right|The Messenger, Thursday Jan 24, 1904 - Land Sale at Grissom Landing]]
In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots. One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.
In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing farms, hotel and lots. One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.


===Post Office===
==Post Office==
[[Thomas Monarch]] became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom. The name changed to Grissom in 1895. James Ralston, Richard Graham, and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to [[Stanley]].
Thomas Monarch became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years, followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom. The name changed to Grissom in 1895. James Ralston, Richard Graham, and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers were transferred to Stanley.


==Businesses in Oakford Precinct==
==Businesses in Oakford Precinct==
Line 24: Line 46:


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Grissom's Landing
Type Former river village
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Named for Alfred Grissom, settled 1856
Post office 1868–1899; renamed Grissom 1895
First postmaster Thomas Monarch
Location Ohio River, nine miles below Owensboro

Grissom's Landing was a village on the Ohio River in Daviess County, Kentucky, nine miles below Owensboro. Most of the town moved to Stanley when the railroad was built through there in 1888.

Namesake

The town was named after Alfred Grissom, who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.

Town Information

1886 Directory Listing for Grissom's Landing

In 1874, the Owensboro Monitor stated that Grissom Landing did not "show off" well from the river and one would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village. It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere, composed of Messrs. Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.

As of 1883, there were two stores, a hotel, post office, and U. S. Express Company agency.

In 1888, the railroad was being built through Stanley and most of this town moved there.

The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890, since that would help them transport whiskey via the railroad.

1904 Land Sale

The Messenger, Thursday Jan 24, 1904 - Land Sale at Grissom Landing

In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing farms, hotel and lots. One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.

Post Office

Thomas Monarch became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years, followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom. The name changed to Grissom in 1895. James Ralston, Richard Graham, and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers were transferred to Stanley.

Businesses in Oakford Precinct