Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Panther, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Panther, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Former post office community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Post office''' || Established 1881
|-
| '''First postmaster''' || John P. Burns
|-
| '''Named for''' || Panther Creek
|-
| '''Location''' || Junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8 miles SSW of Owensboro
|}
</div>
'''Panther''' was a post office community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky. An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, eight miles SSW of [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]]. It was established in the store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream located four miles north.
==Naming of Panther Creek==
[[File:1886-Panther.jpg|thumb|471x471px|1886 Directory Listing for Panther]]
[[File:1886-Panther.jpg|thumb|471x471px|1886 Directory Listing for Panther]]
An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8
Panther Creek received its name in 1776 when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed. They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.
miles SSW of Owensboro. It was established in the
store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream
located 4 miles north.  


Panther Creek received its name in 1776
==Post Offices==
when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring
''Aug. 10, 1881'' – A new post office established in Vanover’s Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.
expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of
the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed.
They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.


''Aug. 10, 1881'' – A new post office established in Vanover’s
An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was discontinued in 1843.
Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.
An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the
creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was
discontinued in 1843.


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:35, 26 August 2026

Panther, Kentucky
Type Former post office community
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Post office Established 1881
First postmaster John P. Burns
Named for Panther Creek
Location Junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8 miles SSW of Owensboro

Panther was a post office community in Daviess County, Kentucky. An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, eight miles SSW of Owensboro. It was established in the store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream located four miles north.

Naming of Panther Creek

1886 Directory Listing for Panther

Panther Creek received its name in 1776 when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed. They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.

Post Offices

Aug. 10, 1881 – A new post office established in Vanover’s Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.

An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was discontinued in 1843.