Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Panther, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
m Adam moved page Panther to Panther, Kentucky
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
miles SSW of Owensboro. It was established in the
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream
|-
located 4 miles north.
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Panther, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Former post office community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Post office''' || Established 1881
|-
| '''First postmaster''' || John P. Burns
|-
| '''Named for''' || Panther Creek
|-
| '''Location''' || Junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8 miles SSW of Owensboro
|}
</div>


Panther Creek received its name in 1776
'''Panther''' was a post office community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky. An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, eight miles SSW of [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]]. It was established in the store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream located four miles north.
when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring
expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of
the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed.
They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.


''Aug. 10, 1881'' – A new post office established in Vanover’s
==Naming of Panther Creek==
Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.
[[File:1886-Panther.jpg|thumb|471x471px|1886 Directory Listing for Panther]]
An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the
Panther Creek received its name in 1776 when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed. They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.
creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was
 
discontinued in 1843.
==Post Offices==
''Aug. 10, 1881'' – A new post office established in Vanover’s Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.
 
An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was discontinued in 1843.


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:35, 26 August 2026

Panther, Kentucky
Type Former post office community
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Post office Established 1881
First postmaster John P. Burns
Named for Panther Creek
Location Junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, 8 miles SSW of Owensboro

Panther was a post office community in Daviess County, Kentucky. An abandoned post office sits at the junction of Hwy 554 and Hwy 1514, eight miles SSW of Owensboro. It was established in the store of John P. Burns. The town was named Panther Creek for the stream located four miles north.

Naming of Panther Creek

1886 Directory Listing for Panther

Panther Creek received its name in 1776 when Leonard Helms and Edward Hogan were on an exploring expedition of the Ohio and Cumberland rivers. Near the mouth of the creek, they were attacked by a huge panther which they killed. They named the creek in honor of this exciting event.

Post Offices

Aug. 10, 1881 – A new post office established in Vanover’s Precinct called Panther. John P. Burns is the Postmaster.

An earlier Panther Creek post office was established on the creek in 1830. In 1839, it was renamed Howardsville and was discontinued in 1843.