Delaware Creek Church
The early records of this Church were lost in a fire which destroyed the residence of Clerk J. G. Cravens. Our information is therefore inconclusive as we have had to depend upon the memory of the first clerk up to the year 1902. A second record book, giving the record of the Church’s history up to August, 1920, is also missing. In the first part of the third record book, beginning at the last mentioned date, we find two pages of information copied from the second book telling us of the organization of the Church. From it we learn that the Associational Missionary, Rev. W. D. Cox, held a meeting beginning on July 31, and continuing through August 12, 1894. This meeting was held in a tent located at the B. F. Jewell Spring. The meeting was quite successful with fifteen conversions and nine baptisms.
On the seventeenth of August, 1894, a Church was organized with from twelve to fifteen constituent members by Elders Fred D. Hale, E. H. Maddox, W. D. Cox, and Deacons S. B. Robertson of Mt. Liberty and John Waltrip of Bethel Churches. The Articles of Faith and Rules of the Decorum of the Third Baptist Church were adopted by this new Church.
The Church immediately called Elder E. H. Maddox as the first pastor and he accepted the work and labored with them in an acceptable manner for four years. The Mission Board of the Association assisted in paying the pastor’s salary during this period. The Church also elected Brother J. G. Cravens to serve as the first Clerk.
For a while the Church met in the Hall School House and still later in the House of Worship of the Methodist brethren at Delaware until they could build their own House of Worship. This meeting house was finally completed about the year 1900 and is the same building now in use by the Church after being put in a good state of repair after the destructive flood of the year 1937. The following pastors and clerks have served the Church since her organization:
|E. H. Maddox||1894-1898|
|W. H. Bell||1898 (6 mos.)|
|T. C. Craig||1899-1901|
|W. W. Schwerdtfeger||1902-1904|
|T. C: Craig||1905|
|W. W. Schwerdtfeger||1906-1907|
|W. W. Schwerdtfeger||1911-1912|
|A. B. Dorris||1913-1915|
|J. C. Craig||1916-1917|
|W. W. Williams||1918-1919|
|W. W. Schwerdtfeger||1920-1923|
|J. D. Hall||1924-1925|
|J. G. Cravens||1894-1904|
|P. E. McFarland||1909-1910|
|C. J. Bruner||1926-1927|
|F. L. Walker||1928-1937|
|J. D. Hall||1937-1943|
We have no means of knowing who served the Church as deacons in its early history. Brother O. N. Jewell served in this capacity for a number of years. Brother Roger Reynolds probably served in the office for a considerable length of time as well as Brother K. H. Craig. Brother E. P. Craig was received as a Deacon from the Green River Church in the year 1927. Brethren Stanley Moss and J. W. Pitt were ordained to this office in September, 1933, and Brethren Coleman Boyle, Booker Robertson, and Wiley Hulsey were ordained in June, 1941. The Church has maintained a Sunday School during most of its history even though it was unable to meet in the winter months because of the bad roads. As has already been noticed the Church suffered much from the flood of 1937. An effort was made to move the location of the Church but the motion was lost and the building was finally torn down and all usable lumber salvaged and the building rebuilt with smaller dimensions.
Elder W. W. Schwerdtfeger served this Church on four different occasions for a total of eleven years. Elder J. C. Craig served three different times for a total of six years. Elder J. D. Hall has served on two occasions for a total of seven years and is the present incumbent. The longest consecutive pastorate belongs to Elder F. L. Walker – a period of nine years.
This little Church has always done very good in supporting the missionary enterprises of the denomination even though it has been weak from a financial and numerical standpoint and has been helped by the Mission Board during about one-half of its history. The membership has never been over one hundred at any time since the organization of the Church – it is about ninety now. Perhaps the Church will never be large numerically because of the limited territory and being surrounded by other Baptist Churches and also other denominations. Nevertheless, like the Church at Philadelphia in the Book of Revelation, it has done much with very little to do with. The Church is self-supporting and missionary minded at present. May it continue to be so. The Church has been a member of the Association since 1895.
Source: A History of the Daviess-McLean Baptist Association in Kentucky, 1844-1943. Wendell H. Rone, Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, 1944.