Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Glenville, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
m Adam moved page Glenville to Glenville, Kentucky
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Glenville, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Former community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] until 1854; now on the Daviess–McLean line
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Former name''' || Long Falls Creek
|-
| '''Post office''' || 1825–1905
|-
| '''First postmaster''' || John Moseley
|-
| '''Location''' || Near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140
|}
</div>
'''Glenville''' is a community on the Daviess–McLean county line in Kentucky, near the junction of Highway 81 and Highway 140. Known for much of its history as Long Falls Creek, the community changed names several times before settling on Glenville in 1884.
==Name Timeline==
==Name Timeline==
* ''1824-1844'' - John Moseley established the first post office on June 12, 1825 as '''Long Falls Creek''', named for the stream ¾ miles south.  
* ''1824–1844'' John Moseley established the first post office on June 12, 1825 as '''Long Falls Creek''', named for the stream ¾ miles south.
* ''1844-1864''- '''Glenville''' became the official name when the community residents selected the name from a list prepared by the U.S. Post Office.
* ''1844–1864'' '''Glenville''' became the official name when the community residents selected the name from a list prepared by the U.S. Post Office.
* ''1864-1884'' - '''Long Falls Creek
* ''1864–1884'' '''Long Falls Creek'''
* ''1884-Current'' - '''Glenville'''
* ''1884–current'' '''Glenville'''


==Early History==
==Early History==
This community was originally a part of [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] until 1854, when McLean County was created. The community now sits on the county line near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140.


This community was originally a part of Daviess County
In 1859 the post office was moved and renamed Glenville while William S. Givens was postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1905.
until 1854 when McLean County was created and now the community
sits on the county line near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140.
 
In 1859, the post office was moved and renamed Glenville while William
S. Givens was Postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1905.


''Source: Paper - Sept. 24, 1884-Long Falls, McLean Co. will be changed to Glennville on Oct. 1, 1884. And with reference to Shelia Helfin article.''
''Source: Paper Sept. 24, 1884: Long Falls, McLean Co. will be changed to Glennville on Oct. 1, 1884. And with reference to Shelia Helfin article.''


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 01:27, 21 August 2026

Glenville, Kentucky
Type Former community
County Daviess County until 1854; now on the Daviess–McLean line
State Kentucky
Former name Long Falls Creek
Post office 1825–1905
First postmaster John Moseley
Location Near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140

Glenville is a community on the Daviess–McLean county line in Kentucky, near the junction of Highway 81 and Highway 140. Known for much of its history as Long Falls Creek, the community changed names several times before settling on Glenville in 1884.

Name Timeline

  • 1824–1844 — John Moseley established the first post office on June 12, 1825 as Long Falls Creek, named for the stream ¾ miles south.
  • 1844–1864Glenville became the official name when the community residents selected the name from a list prepared by the U.S. Post Office.
  • 1864–1884Long Falls Creek
  • 1884–currentGlenville

Early History

This community was originally a part of Daviess County until 1854, when McLean County was created. The community now sits on the county line near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140.

In 1859 the post office was moved and renamed Glenville while William S. Givens was postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1905.

Source: Paper — Sept. 24, 1884: Long Falls, McLean Co. will be changed to Glennville on Oct. 1, 1884. And with reference to Shelia Helfin article.