Glenville, Kentucky: Difference between revisions
More actions
No edit summary |
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks |
||
| (2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown) | |||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;"> | |||
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;" | |||
|- | |||
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Glenville, Kentucky | |||
|- | |||
| '''Type''' || Former community | |||
|- | |||
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] until 1854; now on the Daviess–McLean line | |||
|- | |||
| '''State''' || Kentucky | |||
|- | |||
| '''Former name''' || Long Falls Creek | |||
|- | |||
| '''Post office''' || 1825–1905 | |||
|- | |||
| '''First postmaster''' || John Moseley | |||
|- | |||
| '''Location''' || Near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140 | |||
|} | |||
</div> | |||
'''Glenville''' is a community on the Daviess–McLean county line in Kentucky, near the junction of Highway 81 and Highway 140. Known for much of its history as Long Falls Creek, the community changed names several times before settling on Glenville in 1884. | |||
==Name Timeline== | ==Name Timeline== | ||
* '' | * ''1824–1844'' — John Moseley established the first post office on June 12, 1825 as '''Long Falls Creek''', named for the stream ¾ miles south. | ||
* '' | * ''1844–1864'' — '''Glenville''' became the official name when the community residents selected the name from a list prepared by the U.S. Post Office. | ||
* '' | * ''1864–1884'' — '''Long Falls Creek''' | ||
* '' | * ''1884–current'' — '''Glenville''' | ||
==Early History== | ==Early History== | ||
This community was originally a part of [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] until 1854, when McLean County was created. The community now sits on the county line near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140. | |||
In 1859 the post office was moved and renamed Glenville while William S. Givens was postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1905. | |||
''Source: Paper — Sept. 24, 1884: Long Falls, McLean Co. will be changed to Glennville on Oct. 1, 1884. And with reference to Shelia Helfin article.'' | |||
[[Category:Towns]] | |||
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]] | |||
Latest revision as of 01:27, 21 August 2026
| Glenville, Kentucky | |
|---|---|
| Type | Former community |
| County | Daviess County until 1854; now on the Daviess–McLean line |
| State | Kentucky |
| Former name | Long Falls Creek |
| Post office | 1825–1905 |
| First postmaster | John Moseley |
| Location | Near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140 |
Glenville is a community on the Daviess–McLean county line in Kentucky, near the junction of Highway 81 and Highway 140. Known for much of its history as Long Falls Creek, the community changed names several times before settling on Glenville in 1884.
Name Timeline
- 1824–1844 — John Moseley established the first post office on June 12, 1825 as Long Falls Creek, named for the stream ¾ miles south.
- 1844–1864 — Glenville became the official name when the community residents selected the name from a list prepared by the U.S. Post Office.
- 1864–1884 — Long Falls Creek
- 1884–current — Glenville
Early History
This community was originally a part of Daviess County until 1854, when McLean County was created. The community now sits on the county line near the junction of Hwy 81 and Hwy 140.
In 1859 the post office was moved and renamed Glenville while William S. Givens was postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1905.
Source: Paper — Sept. 24, 1884: Long Falls, McLean Co. will be changed to Glennville on Oct. 1, 1884. And with reference to Shelia Helfin article.