This northwestern part of Daviess County, lying between the Green River and Ohio River, and adjoining Henderson County, is embraced as Oakford Precinct. The Henderson County line formerly ran about four miles east from where it now runs; but on account of greater convenience in reaching Oakford as a county seat, a part was taken from Henderson and added to Daviess County. This precinct consists mostly of low lands, in which are ponds and swamps. In an early day this was a great place for hunting. The citizens are improving the lands here by drainage. Several fine farms lie along the Green and Ohio rivers. There is no coal in any part of the precinct.
Among the early settlers in this precinct were John S. McFarland, Charles Hebbard, James Hill, James Allen, William and Gustavus Talbott, Mrs. Stembridge and William Perkins. From the Henderson road to the Ohio River was known as Buzzard's Roost, so called from the peculiar birds that infested this region. George Riley settled along the Ohio River; also the Drew family, who were half Indians, the Bunch family, the Pecans and Warnald families. Wesley Galloway came here in a very early day. He was a good citizen and farmer. Most of the people along the Ohio River were rough and indolent. Most of their time was spent in hunting, and chopping cord-wood to supply steamboats traversing the Ohio. A great share of their money was spent for whiskey. The better class of men were good and prosperous farmers. About thirty-five years ago milk-sickness was very prevalent among the people, cattle, and hogs in the Roost, and was a great drawback in the settling of this part of the county. The place now occupied by Zack Taylor was first settled by Buck Robinson, who was quite an original character. He opened up a little farm there.
Among the first physicians who practiced in this part of the county was Dr. Christopher Wilson, who resided on the Henderson road. He was originally from Hawesville, aud graduated at Louisville, Ky. He formed a partnership with Dr. J. F. Kimbley, and died a few months afterward. Dr. Kimbley continued the practice for twelve years.
One of the first preachers was Isham Allen, who resided in Sorghotown, but preached all along the Ohio River. He held services at the house of Wesley Galloway. The first church erected was a union church, built in 1856, but was occupied principally by the Methodists and Presbyterians. The land upon which the church was built was given by Mrs. Stembridge and her daughter. Miss Minerva Stembridge, who took the most active part in raising the necessary funds to build the church. It was intended for a Cumberland Presbyterian church, but the design was never strictly carried out. The early Cumberland preachers were Obed Smith, Samuel Calhoon, Craven Boowell and Charles Gates. The Methodists held services in the church as soon as it was completed. A new structure was erected in the spring of 1882, and is also occupied by both denominations. The Catholics were among the first religious denominations in Oakford.