In this precinct there is considerable low land along the two principal creeks, constituting probably about one fourth of the whole area of the precinct. These lands can all be drained, and thus every square rod of ground can be made the best in the county, the upland as well as the low. Very little of the land is sandy. There are many outcroppings of coal in the southeastern portion and the vicinity of Bethabara(Habit). The farm lines in this precinct are straight, but are ten degrees from the cardinal points of the compass.
The village and precinct of Masonville derive their name from Mr. Mason, the original owner of the village plat. The first village was laid out by Judge Triplett, before the precinct system was established. The first settler was a man named Wiley, who came in 1815 and settled on a part of the farm now owned by C. D. Jackson. His daughter married Pleasant Cox in 1820; and this was probably the first marriage in the precinct. James Kirk came in 1820, and also settled on a part of the Jackson farm. He came from Virginia and was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church. His son, John L. Kirk, lived on the old farm in Masonville Precinct, and was a Deacon in the Bethabara Baptist Church. Among the early settlers was Christopher D. Jackson, who settled here in 1827, and assisted greatly in the development of the precinct.
In the fall of 1833, John Hazelrigg killed the last bear in Masonville Precinct. He was out shucking corn early one morning, when his dog commenced barking and running after something which climbed a hickory that stood near by. Mr. Hazelrigg ran toward the tree, and as the sun was not yet up he could not at first tell what animal was there. He soon discovered Master Bruin, however, and ran to his cabin for a rifle. He killed the bear at the first shot. It was on the farm later owned by Fielding Lacklin.
The first school-house in Masonville Precinct was, like those in all pioneer countries, built of logs, and was large enough to hold church services in. This house was built in 1820, and stood three quarters of a mile west of where Bethabara Church now stands, and on the farm later owned by Dr. Magruder.
The first teacher was a man named Jack Tribbel, and at that time the building stood on the east end of his farm; it was therefore called the Tribbel School- House and Church. The second teacher's name was Jones. He was called "cut-nosed Jones," because he had a scar or gash across his nose. Mr. Jones was well educated for that day, and served as Assessor a number of years. He was the father of George Jones, a teamster of Owensboro.
The Cumberland Presbyterians held services in this building, and a man named Lowry was the first preacher. Hiram Hunter was his successor. There were but few families here then, but bears and wolves were plenty.
Towns in this Precinct
Source: A History of the Daviess-McLean Baptist Association in Kentucky, 1844-1943. Wendell H. Rone, Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, 1944. An Illustrated Historical Atlas Map Of Daviess County, Ky. Published by Leo McDonough & Co. 1876.
Source: David Rumsey Map Collection, Online Copyright ©2000 by Cartography Associates.