George F. Haynes
George F. Haynes, son of F.W. and Cassandra (Miller) Haynes, was born in Boston Precinct, Daviess County, Ky., May 7, 1854. The parents of George F. were both natives of Ohio County, and were both descendants from Old Virginia, but settled in Kentucky at the beginning of the present century. F.W. Haynes came to Daviess County in 1836, and settled in the forks of Panther Creek, and in 1854 moved to Boston Precinct, where he engaged in farming, and at the time of his death owned a farm of more than 400 acres. George F. Haynes grew to maturity on the farm, and at the age of seventeen attended school at Horse Cave, in Heart County, Ky. In the fall of 1857 he began teaching a term of school, lasting five months. He continued teaching five months each year for four years. Dec. 31, 1877, Mr. Haynes came to Owensboro and entered the County Clerk’s office, as deputy, serving in this capacity until 1880, when he received an appointment of Master Commissioner of Daviess County Circuit Court. For many generations the Hayneses have been strict adherents of the Baptist school of morals, and under this influence our subject was reared, having joined this church many years ago.
Source: History of Daviess County, Kentucky. Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co., 1883. Courtesy of the Daviess County Bicentennial Committee