Captain H. T. Curd, a popular steamboatman on the Green river, gave his name to Curdsville He was one of the earliest traders in this part of the County, and was accustomed to bring a boat up Green River to the mouth of Panther Creek, and to trade salt and whiskey to the inhabitants of the surrounding country.
The soil is very productive; generally undulating and hilly; some hills are high. Some places along the water-courses are occasionally overflowed and in consequence have not been settled very rapidly. There is not less than 3,000 or 4,000 acres of coal in this precinct. This coal is of excellent quality, and four to four and one third feet thick.
The farm on which the town of Curdsville is located was settled by a man named Travis, but no town was laid out until about 1848. Aquilla Spray was one of the early merchants of the place. The town has grown to be a business point of some importance. It is situated on Green River, immediately above the mouth of Panther Creek, and about fourteen miles west southwest of Owensboro. The town contained three large tobacco houses, two taverns, several stores, church, blacksmith shop, and other establishments usually found in a town of its size. Population in 1883 was in the neighborhood of 300. Joseph Welden an George M. Priest established a steam-mill.
Curdsville Precinct lies mostly south of Panther Creek, but a portion extends north of that stream. One of the earliest settlements in the precinct was made by David Glenn, the grandfather of John Glenn, who settled on the north side of Panther Creek three miles above its mouth before the opening of the century. The Glenn family have been prominent residents of the precinct. William Glenn, the father of John Glenn, was colonel of militia, representative in the legislature and sheriff of the County.
The first man who lived in the vicinity of St. Alphonsus Catholic Church was Thomas Downs, who built a house on the hill half a mile south of the church and directly opposite the residence of Dr. Blincoe. Adam Jordan came to this part of the County at an early date, and the first fall after his coming killed 52 buffalo. The last bear he killed was on a black oak tree then standing along the edge of the Calhoon road. John Wright is an old settler of Curdsville precinct. He settled on the Calhoon road in 1840, having previously lived at Beech Grove in McLean County where his father had located in the year 1807.
Early Church at St. Alphonsus
A Catholic church was built on the site of the present St. Alphonsus' church in 1854. St. Joseph's Female Academy was founded in 1861. The present building was begun to be erected in 1873, and completed at a cost of $10,000.
The first practicing physician in the vicinity Of this church was Dr. Blincoe, who came to the County in 1853, and practiced medicine over a territory later occupied by twenty-seven or twenty- eight physicians.
Delaware is a town which has sprung up since 1860, situated in the extreme south-west part of the County near the corner of Daviess and McLean Counties. It stands on the bank of Green River, and is about 21 miles from Owensboro. It takes its name from Delaware Creek which flows into Green River, a short distance above the town. A M. Allen, a prominent merchant and business man of the place, was one of the founders of the town. West Louisville in the northern part of the precinct, and a short distance south of Panther Creek, 14 miles from Owensboro, is another of the post-offices included in the limits of the precinct. Curdsville and West Louisville are the voting places.
Towns in this Precinct
Source: History of Daviess County, Kentucky. Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co., 1883. Print.
An Illustrated Historical Atlas Map Of Daviess County, Ky. Published by Leo McDonough & Co. 1876.
Source: David Rumsey Map Collection, Online Copyright ©2000 by Cartography Associates.