Brown's Valley, Kentucky

From History of Owensboro
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1886 Directory Listing for Crow Station/Brown's Valley.

As the Owensboro & Russellville Railroad built south from Owensboro, one of the families who contributed land for the right-of-way was Joshua G. Crow. Crow owned 290 acres that lay along the range of hills south of Panther Creek. In return for the easement for the rail line, Crow was granted the right for a “station” or flag-stop on the line. This depot was named Crow’s Station or Crow-Hickman for Mayor Hickman's large estate across the Livermore Road. The Post Office for that area was named Brown’s Valley to honor Orville O. Brown, a farmer and carpenter, who owned the General Store and was the first Postmaster. He served as the local agent for the railroad and performed many years of service representing the people’s interests in disputes with the railroad.