This precinct by law is thus bounded: Beginning at Knottsville Precinct at corner on Ohio County line, thence down North Panther Creek to bridge on Leitchfield road, thence with the State road to the Miller's Mill road, thence with Miller's Mill road to South Panther Creek, thence with said Creek, Deserter's Fork and Ohio County line to the beginning.
A large portion of the land in this precinct was surveyed and sold by Robert Triplett. The farm lines are generally straight, but are at an angle of ten degrees from the cardinal points of the compass.
The land in this precinct will average about second and third rate in quality. Very little of it is subject to overflow. It is generally undulating, some of it hilly, and there are some very high hills, in which there is considerable coal and fine building stone. There is also a large quantity of lithographic stone in this part of Daviess County, but at present it is rather inaccessible.
In the spring of 1882, a petition was drawn up by James F. Hite and was signed by the citizens in this community and sent to Hon. H. W. Scott, County Judge, who changed the voting precinct, which was formerly held at Boston, to Whitesville, where the polls are now held ; therefore it is generally known as Whitesville Precinct, though the official name is still Boston Precinct, as recorded in the poll books at the County Clerk's office in Owensboro.
About the first settler in Boston Precinct was Bassett Burton, father of Horace Burton. He came from Adams' Fork, near Harrodsburg, Ky about 1810, bringing help with him to raise a log cabin. The nearest settlement was five or six miles distant. Other early settlers were Elisha Burton, Cornelius Westerfield, William Haynes, John Ward, and John Cooper. The two latter came in the fall of 1811, and settled near Mr. Burton. George Jackson settled where James Milton later lived, in the southwestern part of the precinct. Mr. Karn (whose given name may have been Josiah) settled in the western part. William Holmark settled where Mrs. Hinton now lives, William Sinnett where George Mattingly now lives, Joseph Hale on a place later owned by Thomas J. Monarch, James Mathes where Joe Haynes later lived, and Jabe Luallen where Thomas Ware later lived. A man named French settled here at an early date.
When the first settlements were made, others came in and took up the land, and cleared the forests, and began improvements. William P. Ellis, from Shelby County, came and settled in 1829, in the extreme eastern part of the precinct. The first physician who settled in the precinct was Dr. Richard Lockhart, who lived here five or six years, and then moved into Knottsville Precinct, although doing a large practice in this part of the country for a number of years.
Bassett Burton was the first Magistrate who served in the neighborhood, which was before it was organized as a precinct. After Mr. Burton's death, his son, Creed Burton, was chosen to fill the office. One of the first sheriffs who served was Simpson Stout. Under the new constitution in 1851, the first Magistrates were Benjamin F. Ramsey and John B. Hinton. The Sheriff was Thomas Landrum, and the Constable, W. W. Church.
Area's Oldest Man
The oldest man now living in the precinct is Robert Ragsdale, tt the age of eighty-nine years, a native of Nelson County, Ky. Nancy Williams, widow of Alexander Williams, is about of the same age.
The first school-house erected was in 1825, on the farm of Bassett Burton; and the first school-teacher was an Irishman named William Maxwell, a well-educated man. The next one was James Jones.
Burton's Horse Mill
In 1822, Bassett Burton built a horse-mill on his farm, for the purpose of grinding corn and wheat. People from a distance of fifteen miles came here to have their grain ground. The mill was run by the family after Mr. Burton's death, and by Horace Burton after he came in possession of the farm, till the beginning of the war. With four horses hitched to the mill it would convert a bushel of corn into the finest meal within six minutes.
A post office was kept at Boston until about 1859 or '60, and was then moved to Whitesville. During the war, owing to the supposed disloyalty of the postmaster, it was again established at Boston, but remained only a short time, when it was returned to Whitesville. The Magistrate's Court is held the fourth Monday and third Friday in March, June, September and December. The present Magistrates are Horace A. Burton and Christopher Watkins; and the Constable is Granville Karn.