Alonzo Woodford Little

From History of Owensboro
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Alonzo Woodford Little was born in Muhlenberg County, of the Blue Grass State, April 3, 1847, but his parents, Douglas and Martha A. (Wright) Little, were born in North Carolina and Virginia, respectively, the parents of both having been among the early emigrants to Kentucky. Alonzo was reared to manhood in the vicinity of his birthplace, and throughout his youth he was employed more or less as a clerk in a store, but at the age of twenty- one years he took up the study of law, and under the preceptorship of his brother, Judge Lucius P. Little, of Owensboro, Ky., he made himself thoroughly familiar with legal lore, and in 1871 was admitted to the bar. The following year he practiced with his brother, and in the latter part of 1872 located in West Point, Miss., for the practice of his profession, and after remaining there for two years was appointed clerk of the Supreme Court of Mississippi, and served in that capacity one term of four years. He next located in Jackson, Miss., and resumed the practice of law as a partner of J. W. Jenkins, now of Kansas City, Kas. In 1880 he removed to Medicine Lodge, Kas., and after being in the real estate and cattle business for two years, the three following years were spent in mercantile pursuits and the banking business, in partnership in the latter institution with J. W. McNeal and H. C. Thompson, being associated in the mercantile business with this gentleman also. The bank with which he was connected was organized as a private bank in April, 1883, under the name of McNeal, Little & Thompson, but in 1886 it was converted into a national bank, and has since been known as the Citizen’s National Bank. Mr. Little sold his interest in the same in 1887. Meanwhile, in 1884, he had removed to Kansas City, Kas., and engaged in the real estate and loan business, but after selling his interest in the above mentioned bank, he, in July, 1887, helped to organize the Armourdale Bank, and of it he has since been president. In the fall of 1888, in connection with Nicholas McAlpine, he organized the Argentine Bank, of Argentine, and in January, 1889, was one to organize the Exchange Bank, of Kansas City, Kas., and has since acted as its cashier. He disposed of his interest in the Argentine Bank in March, 1889. Another bank that he helped organize in May, 1889, was the McNeal & Little Banking Company, of Guthrie, Oklahoma, which is converted into a National bank, under the name of the Guthrie National Bank, of which Mr. Little is vice-president. In September, 1889, the First National Bank, of Medicine Lodge, Kas., was reorganized, at which time Mr. Little became a stock-holder and director, and is so still. In 1870, just before he entered upon the study of law, he acted as census taker in McLean County, Ky. He is a Republican in his political views, and is one of the city’s most enterprising business men, and is very popular. What he has, in the way of worldly goods, has been earned by earnest endeavor, and besides his extensive banking interests, he has one of the handsomest homes in Kansas City, which is situated at No. 630 Washington Avenue. His marriage, which occurred September 15, 1875, at Jefferstown, Ky., was to Miss Ida M. McDaniel, a daughter of Rev. James S. McDaniel, of that place. To them a family of four sons have been born: Alonzo W., Lucius J. (who died in infancy), Gerard B. and Sehon E. Mr. Little and his family worship in the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Source: Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas. Historical and biographical. The Goodspeed publishing company, Chicago, 1890.