Rome, Kentucky: Difference between revisions
More actions
m Adam moved page Rome to Rome, Kentucky |
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks |
||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;"> | |||
owes | {| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;" | ||
into the area in the decade after the Civil War. | |- | ||
Land in the Panther Creek bottoms was swampy, | ! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Rome, Kentucky | ||
heavily timbered and cheap. The industrious Germans | |- | ||
soon turned the timber into houses and barns, and ditched the | | '''Type''' || Village | ||
area to convert the wetlands into some of the | |- | ||
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] | |||
One of the | |- | ||
of St. Martin was organized in 1873, and for a brief time masses | | '''State''' || Kentucky | ||
were on Tuesday, conducted by a priest from Owensboro. The | |- | ||
first permanent priest was Father Louis Herberth. | | '''Settled by''' || German Catholic farm families | ||
A post office was established in 1885, with W.J. Tharp as | |- | ||
postmaster; and by 1911 there was a rural mail delivery route | | '''Parish organized''' || 1873 (St. Martin) | ||
from Rome as well. The | |- | ||
but it served a well-populated rural region. | | '''Post office''' || Established 1885 | ||
Rome in the early twentieth century boasted three physicians | |- | ||
Doctors Charles Medley, Edward Barr and George L. Barr. | | '''First postmaster''' || W. J. Tharp | ||
By 1920 the physicians were gone, but the following year | |- | ||
a parochial school opened at St. Martin, taught by the Ursuline | | '''Population''' || 50 (c. 1911) | ||
nuns. It operated until 1987. | |- | ||
| '''Location''' || Southeast of Owensboro on KY 81 | |||
|} | |||
</div> | |||
'''Rome''' is a village in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, southeast of [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]] on KY 81. It owes its beginning to the migration of German Catholic farm families into the area in the decade after the Civil War. | |||
==Settlement== | |||
Land in the Panther Creek bottoms was swampy, flood-prone, heavily timbered and cheap. The industrious Germans soon turned the timber into houses and barns, and ditched the area to convert the wetlands into some of the nation's most fertile farmland. | |||
==St. Martin Parish== | |||
One of the settlers' first priorities was a church. The Parish of St. Martin was organized in 1873, and for a brief time masses were on Tuesday, conducted by a priest from Owensboro. The first permanent priest was Father Louis Herberth. | |||
==Post Office== | |||
A post office was established in 1885, with W.J. Tharp as postmaster; and by 1911 there was a rural mail delivery route from Rome as well. The village's population at this time was 50, but it served a well-populated rural region. | |||
==Physicians and School== | |||
Rome in the early twentieth century boasted three physicians: Doctors Charles Medley, Edward Barr and George L. Barr. By 1920 the physicians were gone, but the following year a parochial school opened at St. Martin, taught by the Ursuline nuns. It operated until 1987. | |||
''Reference to article by Lee Dew'' | ''Reference to article by Lee Dew'' | ||
[[Category:Towns]] | [[Category:Towns]] | ||
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]] | |||
Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026
| Rome, Kentucky | |
|---|---|
| Type | Village |
| County | Daviess County |
| State | Kentucky |
| Settled by | German Catholic farm families |
| Parish organized | 1873 (St. Martin) |
| Post office | Established 1885 |
| First postmaster | W. J. Tharp |
| Population | 50 (c. 1911) |
| Location | Southeast of Owensboro on KY 81 |
Rome is a village in Daviess County, Kentucky, southeast of Owensboro on KY 81. It owes its beginning to the migration of German Catholic farm families into the area in the decade after the Civil War.
Settlement
Land in the Panther Creek bottoms was swampy, flood-prone, heavily timbered and cheap. The industrious Germans soon turned the timber into houses and barns, and ditched the area to convert the wetlands into some of the nation's most fertile farmland.
St. Martin Parish
One of the settlers' first priorities was a church. The Parish of St. Martin was organized in 1873, and for a brief time masses were on Tuesday, conducted by a priest from Owensboro. The first permanent priest was Father Louis Herberth.
Post Office
A post office was established in 1885, with W.J. Tharp as postmaster; and by 1911 there was a rural mail delivery route from Rome as well. The village's population at this time was 50, but it served a well-populated rural region.
Physicians and School
Rome in the early twentieth century boasted three physicians: Doctors Charles Medley, Edward Barr and George L. Barr. By 1920 the physicians were gone, but the following year a parochial school opened at St. Martin, taught by the Ursuline nuns. It operated until 1987.
Reference to article by Lee Dew