Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Masonville, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:1886-Masonville.jpg|thumb|406x406px|1886 Directory Listing for Masonville]]
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
The first resident of what would become Masonville was a
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
man named Wiley who settled at the forks of Panther Creek in
|-
1815. Five years later James Kirk settled nearby, and in 1827
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Masonville, Kentucky
Christopher “Kit” Jackson arrived and purchased Wiley’s land.
|-
Masonville was named for George Mason of Gunston Hall, Virginia,
| '''Type''' || Village
who was the original owner of a large tract of land he received
|-
as a land grant. Mason was an author of the Bill of Rights
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
and had large land holdings in Daviess Count and was the original
|-
owner of the plat on which Masonville was built.
| '''State''' || Kentucky
George Triplett, Daviess County surveyor, who was also
|-
county judge and a member of the state Senate and House of
| '''First settler''' || A man named Wiley, 1815
Representatives and the Confederate Congress, laid out the plans
|-
for the growing village.  
| '''Named for''' || George Mason of Gunston Hall, Virginia
|-
| '''Laid out by''' || George Triplett, county surveyor
|-
| '''Post office''' || Established 1857
|-
| '''Population''' || 100 (1876); 41 (1906)
|-
| '''Location''' || On the Hartford Road (U.S. 231)
|}
</div>


The first church in Masonville Precinct
'''Masonville''' is a village in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, on the old Hartford Road — the buffalo trail that brought the first settlers to the county — named for a Virginian who never lived there.
was [[Bethabara Baptist Church]], organized in 1825, it was originally
open to all denominations and most of its members were
women. With the church on the verge of collapse when only two
male members remained and the minister and male clerk had left,
Polly Stout volunteered to serve as clerk, a position of authority
not many women held in that era. A new minister was found and
the church went on to prosper.
Macedonia Baptist Church was started in 1849 by the Lashbrook
and Hale families, and Sugar Grove Baptist was begun
in 1861 by the Yewell, Noel, and Dawson families. Masonville
Christian Church was organized in 1859.  


The first school was
==Settlement==
built in 1820 where Bethabara cemetery is now located.  
The first resident of what would become Masonville was a man named Wiley, who settled at the forks of Panther Creek in 1815. Five years later James Kirk settled nearby, and in 1827 Christopher "Kit" Jackson arrived and purchased Wiley's land.


A post
Masonville was named for George Mason of Gunston Hall, Virginia, who was the original owner of a large tract of land he received as a land grant. Mason was an author of the Bill of Rights, had large land holdings in Daviess County, and was the original owner of the plat on which Masonville was built.
office was established in 1857 but was shut down during the Civil
War, to reopen at war’s end.


Four Masonville men had interesting war records: Capt. William
George Triplett, Daviess County surveyor, who was also county judge and a member of the state Senate and House of Representatives and the Confederate Congress, laid out the plans for the growing village.
J. Taylor fought in the Mexican War and also served under
Confederate Capt. Charles Noel of Masonville during the Civil
War. After the War, Taylor returned to his farm and was elected to
the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.
Capt. Noel was credited with helping to organize Sugar
Grove Church. He and Taylor raised a company of Confederate
cavalry and he was killed in Alabama in 1862. Two other Masonville
residents fought for Confederacy—Squire Camp who
fought at Battle of Sutherland Hill in 1862, and Adam Yeiser who
fought at Perryville and other battles.


By 1876 Masonville had a population of 100 and by 1883,
==Churches==
boasted a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, a general store, and a
The first church in Masonville Precinct was [[Bethabara Baptist Church]], organized in 1825. It was originally open to all denominations and most of its members were women. With the church on the verge of collapse when only two male members remained and the minister and male clerk had left, Polly Stout volunteered to serve as clerk, a position of authority not many women held in that era. A new minister was found and the church went on to prosper.
Masonic Lodge. By 1906, the population of the village was listed
 
as 41, but the surrounding area was sufficiently populated that
Macedonia Baptist Church was started in 1849 by the Lashbrook and Hale families, and [[Sugar Grove Baptist Church|Sugar Grove Baptist]] was begun in 1861 by the Yewell, Noel, and Dawson families. Masonville Christian Church was organized in 1859.
two physicians—Dr. J.W. Ellis and Dr. Alvah J. Gordon—practiced
 
there.
==School and Post Office==
Masonville was located on the Hartford Road, the old buffalo
The first school was built in 1820 where Bethabara cemetery is now located.
trail which brought the first visitors and settlers to Daviess
 
County, but it never acquired railroad service. With the paving
A post office was established in 1857 but was shut down during the Civil War, to reopen at war's end.
of the highway between Owensboro and Hartford (U.S. 231) the
 
town got a new lease on life as people could now live in Masonville
==Civil War Records==
and commute easily to jobs in Owensboro.
Four Masonville men had interesting war records. Capt. William J. Taylor fought in the Mexican War and also served under Confederate Capt. Charles Noel of Masonville during the Civil War. After the war, Taylor returned to his farm and was elected to the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.
 
Capt. Noel was credited with helping to organize Sugar Grove Church. He and Taylor raised a company of Confederate cavalry, and he was killed in Alabama in 1862.
 
Two other Masonville residents fought for the Confederacy — Squire Camp, who fought at the Battle of Sutherland Hill in 1862, and Adam Yeiser, who fought at Perryville and other battles.
 
==Growth and Decline==
By 1876 Masonville had a population of 100, and by 1883 boasted a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, a general store, and a Masonic Lodge. By 1906 the population of the village was listed as 41, but the surrounding area was sufficiently populated that two physicians — Dr. J.W. Ellis and Dr. Alvah J. Gordon — practiced there.
 
Masonville was located on the Hartford Road, the old buffalo trail which brought the first visitors and settlers to Daviess County, but it never acquired railroad service. With the paving of the highway between Owensboro and Hartford (U.S. 231) the town got a new lease on life, as people could now live in Masonville and commute easily to jobs in Owensboro.


''Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges.''
''Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges.''
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Masonville, Kentucky
Type Village
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
First settler A man named Wiley, 1815
Named for George Mason of Gunston Hall, Virginia
Laid out by George Triplett, county surveyor
Post office Established 1857
Population 100 (1876); 41 (1906)
Location On the Hartford Road (U.S. 231)

Masonville is a village in Daviess County, Kentucky, on the old Hartford Road — the buffalo trail that brought the first settlers to the county — named for a Virginian who never lived there.

Settlement

The first resident of what would become Masonville was a man named Wiley, who settled at the forks of Panther Creek in 1815. Five years later James Kirk settled nearby, and in 1827 Christopher "Kit" Jackson arrived and purchased Wiley's land.

Masonville was named for George Mason of Gunston Hall, Virginia, who was the original owner of a large tract of land he received as a land grant. Mason was an author of the Bill of Rights, had large land holdings in Daviess County, and was the original owner of the plat on which Masonville was built.

George Triplett, Daviess County surveyor, who was also county judge and a member of the state Senate and House of Representatives and the Confederate Congress, laid out the plans for the growing village.

Churches

The first church in Masonville Precinct was Bethabara Baptist Church, organized in 1825. It was originally open to all denominations and most of its members were women. With the church on the verge of collapse when only two male members remained and the minister and male clerk had left, Polly Stout volunteered to serve as clerk, a position of authority not many women held in that era. A new minister was found and the church went on to prosper.

Macedonia Baptist Church was started in 1849 by the Lashbrook and Hale families, and Sugar Grove Baptist was begun in 1861 by the Yewell, Noel, and Dawson families. Masonville Christian Church was organized in 1859.

School and Post Office

The first school was built in 1820 where Bethabara cemetery is now located.

A post office was established in 1857 but was shut down during the Civil War, to reopen at war's end.

Civil War Records

Four Masonville men had interesting war records. Capt. William J. Taylor fought in the Mexican War and also served under Confederate Capt. Charles Noel of Masonville during the Civil War. After the war, Taylor returned to his farm and was elected to the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.

Capt. Noel was credited with helping to organize Sugar Grove Church. He and Taylor raised a company of Confederate cavalry, and he was killed in Alabama in 1862.

Two other Masonville residents fought for the Confederacy — Squire Camp, who fought at the Battle of Sutherland Hill in 1862, and Adam Yeiser, who fought at Perryville and other battles.

Growth and Decline

By 1876 Masonville had a population of 100, and by 1883 boasted a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, a general store, and a Masonic Lodge. By 1906 the population of the village was listed as 41, but the surrounding area was sufficiently populated that two physicians — Dr. J.W. Ellis and Dr. Alvah J. Gordon — practiced there.

Masonville was located on the Hartford Road, the old buffalo trail which brought the first visitors and settlers to Daviess County, but it never acquired railroad service. With the paving of the highway between Owensboro and Hartford (U.S. 231) the town got a new lease on life, as people could now live in Masonville and commute easily to jobs in Owensboro.

Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges.