Habit, Kentucky: Difference between revisions
More actions
No edit summary |
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks |
||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
[[ | <div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;"> | ||
Officially incorporated July 30th, 1884, the post office at Habit | {| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;" | ||
was established and named for the English born blacksmith | |- | ||
Frederick Habit. | ! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Habit, Kentucky | ||
|- | |||
oldest churches in Daviess County. It was organized October 5th, | | '''Type''' || Former farm community | ||
1825 by members from surrounding churches such as Yelvington | |- | ||
and Panther Creek Baptist Churches. The Habit area was first | | '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] | ||
settled by 1815, the year Daviess County was established. Until | |- | ||
the late 1800s | | '''State''' || Kentucky | ||
some of the | |- | ||
Barnhills, and Harrisons, just to name a few. | | '''Former name''' || Bethabara | ||
|- | |||
| '''Incorporated''' || July 30, 1884 | |||
|- | |||
| '''Named for''' || Frederick Habit, English-born blacksmith | |||
|- | |||
| '''Post office''' || 1884–1906 | |||
|- | |||
| '''First postmaster''' || James C. Miller | |||
|- | |||
| '''Settled by''' || 1815 | |||
|} | |||
</div> | |||
'''Habit''' was a thriving farm community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky. Officially incorporated July 30th, 1884, the post office at Habit was established and named for the English-born blacksmith Frederick Habit. | |||
==Bethabara== | |||
The community's focal point was [[Bethabara Baptist Church]], one of the oldest churches in Daviess County. It was organized October 5th, 1825 by members from surrounding churches such as [[Yelvington Baptist Church|Yelvington]] and [[Panther Creek Baptist Church|Panther Creek]] Baptist Churches. | |||
The Habit area was first settled by 1815, the year Daviess County was established. Until the late 1800s the community was known as Bethabara, and some of the area's earliest settlers were Kirks, Millers, Bristows, Barnhills, and Harrisons, just to name a few. | |||
==First School== | ==First School== | ||
The first school near | The first school near Habit was Tribbel's School House, named for Jack Tribbel, its first teacher. The school was organized in 1825, and located on the present site of the Bethabara Church Cemetery. | ||
Habit was | |||
first teacher. The school was organized in 1825, and located on | |||
the present site of the Bethabara Church Cemetery. | |||
==War Soldiers== | ==War Soldiers== | ||
During the Mexican and Civil Wars, Habit produced many soldiers, some | During the Mexican and Civil Wars, Habit produced many soldiers, some of whom are buried in Bethabara Church Cemetery. Some of the most noteworthy Civil War veterans include Squire Adams Camp and James H. Bozarth. | ||
of whom are buried in Bethabara Church Cemetery. Some of | |||
the most noteworthy Civil War | |||
Camp and James H. Bozarth. | |||
==After the War== | ==After the War== | ||
After the Civil War, Habit experienced | After the Civil War, Habit experienced rapid growth, and by 1876 a general store had opened up across from the church. | ||
rapid growth and by 1876 | |||
across from the church. In 1886, the community of Habit had a | In 1886, the community of Habit had a physician, Dr. L.G. Armendt; Glass & Becker's wagon maker's shop; a post office; Habit & Coots blacksmith shop; Miller's general merchandise store; a school and a school teacher, Miss Mamie Miller; and, of course, Bethabara Baptist Church. Habit also at one time had a Masonic Lodge, a railroad station, a grist mill, and in 1889 a "summer hotel" run by Hiram Bristow. | ||
physician, Dr. L.G. Armendt; Glass & | |||
shop; a post office; Habit & Coots blacksmith shop; | ==Post Office== | ||
merchandise store; school and a school teacher, Miss Mamie | The first postmaster of Habit was James C. Miller (1884–1891), followed by Henry C. Miller Jr. (1891–1903), and the last was James W. Harrison (1903–1906). On September 29th, 1906 the post office closed, and the mail was then sent to [[Philpot, Kentucky|Philpot]]. | ||
Miller; and, of course, Bethabara Baptist Church. Habit also at | |||
one time had a Masonic Lodge, a railroad station, a grist mill, and | [[File:1886-Habit.jpg|thumb|left|415x415px|1886 Directory Listing for Habit]] | ||
in 1889 | {{Clear}} | ||
Henry C. Miller Jr. ( | |||
( | |||
closed, and the mail was then sent to Philpot. | |||
''Reference to an article by Isaac Settle'' | ''Reference to an article by Isaac Settle'' | ||
[[Category:Towns]] | [[Category:Towns]] | ||
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]] | |||
Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026
| Habit, Kentucky | |
|---|---|
| Type | Former farm community |
| County | Daviess County |
| State | Kentucky |
| Former name | Bethabara |
| Incorporated | July 30, 1884 |
| Named for | Frederick Habit, English-born blacksmith |
| Post office | 1884–1906 |
| First postmaster | James C. Miller |
| Settled by | 1815 |
Habit was a thriving farm community in Daviess County, Kentucky. Officially incorporated July 30th, 1884, the post office at Habit was established and named for the English-born blacksmith Frederick Habit.
Bethabara
The community's focal point was Bethabara Baptist Church, one of the oldest churches in Daviess County. It was organized October 5th, 1825 by members from surrounding churches such as Yelvington and Panther Creek Baptist Churches.
The Habit area was first settled by 1815, the year Daviess County was established. Until the late 1800s the community was known as Bethabara, and some of the area's earliest settlers were Kirks, Millers, Bristows, Barnhills, and Harrisons, just to name a few.
First School
The first school near Habit was Tribbel's School House, named for Jack Tribbel, its first teacher. The school was organized in 1825, and located on the present site of the Bethabara Church Cemetery.
War Soldiers
During the Mexican and Civil Wars, Habit produced many soldiers, some of whom are buried in Bethabara Church Cemetery. Some of the most noteworthy Civil War veterans include Squire Adams Camp and James H. Bozarth.
After the War
After the Civil War, Habit experienced rapid growth, and by 1876 a general store had opened up across from the church.
In 1886, the community of Habit had a physician, Dr. L.G. Armendt; Glass & Becker's wagon maker's shop; a post office; Habit & Coots blacksmith shop; Miller's general merchandise store; a school and a school teacher, Miss Mamie Miller; and, of course, Bethabara Baptist Church. Habit also at one time had a Masonic Lodge, a railroad station, a grist mill, and in 1889 a "summer hotel" run by Hiram Bristow.
Post Office
The first postmaster of Habit was James C. Miller (1884–1891), followed by Henry C. Miller Jr. (1891–1903), and the last was James W. Harrison (1903–1906). On September 29th, 1906 the post office closed, and the mail was then sent to Philpot.

Reference to an article by Isaac Settle