Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Yelvington, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
m Adam moved page Yelvington to Yelvington, Kentucky
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
8 ''Named After'': Yelverton Overly
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Yelvington, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Village
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Founded''' || 1790s
|-
| '''Named for''' || Yelverton Overly, first settler
|-
| '''Baptist church organized''' || June 1813
|-
| '''Methodist church formed''' || 1842
|-
| '''Destroyed by fire''' || April 10, 1890
|-
| '''Location''' || Eastern Daviess County
|}
</div>


Perhaps the biggest fire in Daviess County’s history virtually
'''Yelvington''' is a village in eastern [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, probably the oldest in the county. Founded in the 1790s and named for its first settler, it was virtually destroyed by fire in 1890 — perhaps the biggest fire in the county's history — just as it was about to mark its hundredth anniversary.
destroyed the town of Yelvington, probably the oldest village in
the county, on April 10, 1890.


Fanned by high winds, the fire which began in the Beechwood
==The 1890 Fire==
Hotel was soon spread by the wind to neighboring buildings
Perhaps the biggest fire in Daviess County's history virtually destroyed the town of Yelvington on April 10, 1890.
and quickly engulfed the entire business district including
the hotel, three general stores, warehouses, stables, barns, a tobacco
factory filled with leaf tobacco, a cooper’s shop, and the
City Hotel, as well as a butcher’s shop and at least seven houses.
It was a sad blow for the town which was soon to mark its
one hundredth anniversary. Yelvington had been founded in the
1790’s on the wagon road from Elizabethtown to the Ohio River
ford at Shawneetown, Indiana at the point where a road was
beginning to be developed running from Fort Hartford on the
Rough River to Grandview in the Indiana territory.


Located above the floodplain, the well-drained hills of the
Fanned by high winds, the fire which began in the Beechwood Hotel was soon spread by the wind to neighboring buildings and quickly engulfed the entire business district, including the hotel, three general stores, warehouses, stables, barns, a tobacco factory filled with leaf tobacco, a cooper's shop, and the City Hotel, as well as a butcher's shop and at least seven houses.
area were free from mosquitoes, it was generally considered to
be healthier and more pest-free than the lowlands. The area was
also blessed with fertile soil and abundant timber.


The first settler was Yelverton Overly, for whom the town
It was a sad blow for the town, which was soon to mark its one hundredth anniversary.
was later named. By 1830 there was a store operated by Thomas
Pointer, and soon another store and hotel were opened.
Yelvington thrived on the traffic along the bisecting roads
and by 1883, there were two dry goods stores, a grocery, two hotels,
a physician, two saloons and two churches. The Yelvington
Baptist Church was organized in June 1813, and the first services
began on June 30. A Methodist Church was formed in 1842.
But Yelvington was threatened by decline even before the
fire. The Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas Railroad, completed in
1888, bypassed the hilly area of eastern Daviess County, opting
to build on the flat lands along the Ohio River.


This economic blow, coupled with the fire, stimulated many
==Founding==
residents and businessmen to abandon Yelvington and move to
Yelvington had been founded in the 1790s on the wagon road from Elizabethtown to the Ohio River ford at Shawneetown, Indiana, at the point where a road was beginning to be developed running from Fort Hartford on the Rough River to Grandview in the Indiana territory.
the new village of Maceo, then being established along the railroad
line.


Yelvington remained as a residential area with small stores
Located above the floodplain, the well-drained hills of the area were free from mosquitoes; it was generally considered to be healthier and more pest-free than the lowlands. The area was also blessed with fertile soil and abundant timber.
serving the neighborhood, and with the coming of paved roads
 
became a destination for people looking for country living.
The first settler was Yelverton Overly, for whom the town was later named. By 1830 there was a store operated by Thomas Pointer, and soon another store and hotel were opened.
 
==Growth and Churches==
Yelvington thrived on the traffic along the bisecting roads, and by 1883 there were two dry goods stores, a grocery, two hotels, a physician, two saloons and two churches. The [[Yelvington Baptist Church]] was organized in June 1813, and the first services began on June 30. A Methodist Church was formed in 1842.
 
==Decline==
But Yelvington was threatened by decline even before the fire. The Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas Railroad, completed in 1888, bypassed the hilly area of eastern Daviess County, opting to build on the flat lands along the Ohio River.
 
This economic blow, coupled with the fire, stimulated many residents and businessmen to abandon Yelvington and move to the new village of [[Maceo, Kentucky|Maceo]], then being established along the railroad line.
 
Yelvington remained as a residential area with small stores serving the neighborhood, and with the coming of paved roads became a destination for people looking for country living.
 
[[File:1886-Yelvington.jpg|thumb|left|401x401px|1886 Directory Listing for Yelvington]]
{{Clear}}


''Reference to an article by Lee Dew''
''Reference to an article by Lee Dew''
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Yelvington, Kentucky
Type Village
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Founded 1790s
Named for Yelverton Overly, first settler
Baptist church organized June 1813
Methodist church formed 1842
Destroyed by fire April 10, 1890
Location Eastern Daviess County

Yelvington is a village in eastern Daviess County, Kentucky, probably the oldest in the county. Founded in the 1790s and named for its first settler, it was virtually destroyed by fire in 1890 — perhaps the biggest fire in the county's history — just as it was about to mark its hundredth anniversary.

The 1890 Fire

Perhaps the biggest fire in Daviess County's history virtually destroyed the town of Yelvington on April 10, 1890.

Fanned by high winds, the fire which began in the Beechwood Hotel was soon spread by the wind to neighboring buildings and quickly engulfed the entire business district, including the hotel, three general stores, warehouses, stables, barns, a tobacco factory filled with leaf tobacco, a cooper's shop, and the City Hotel, as well as a butcher's shop and at least seven houses.

It was a sad blow for the town, which was soon to mark its one hundredth anniversary.

Founding

Yelvington had been founded in the 1790s on the wagon road from Elizabethtown to the Ohio River ford at Shawneetown, Indiana, at the point where a road was beginning to be developed running from Fort Hartford on the Rough River to Grandview in the Indiana territory.

Located above the floodplain, the well-drained hills of the area were free from mosquitoes; it was generally considered to be healthier and more pest-free than the lowlands. The area was also blessed with fertile soil and abundant timber.

The first settler was Yelverton Overly, for whom the town was later named. By 1830 there was a store operated by Thomas Pointer, and soon another store and hotel were opened.

Growth and Churches

Yelvington thrived on the traffic along the bisecting roads, and by 1883 there were two dry goods stores, a grocery, two hotels, a physician, two saloons and two churches. The Yelvington Baptist Church was organized in June 1813, and the first services began on June 30. A Methodist Church was formed in 1842.

Decline

But Yelvington was threatened by decline even before the fire. The Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas Railroad, completed in 1888, bypassed the hilly area of eastern Daviess County, opting to build on the flat lands along the Ohio River.

This economic blow, coupled with the fire, stimulated many residents and businessmen to abandon Yelvington and move to the new village of Maceo, then being established along the railroad line.

Yelvington remained as a residential area with small stores serving the neighborhood, and with the coming of paved roads became a destination for people looking for country living.

1886 Directory Listing for Yelvington

Reference to an article by Lee Dew