Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Whalen, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
m Adam moved page Whalen to Whalen, Kentucky
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Whalen, otherwise known as Short’s Station, is located in the
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
eastern part of the county about four miles from Philpot. Whalen’s
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
post office was established in 1884, and was a thriving village
|-
along the tracks of the Falls of Rough Railroad, and the former
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Whalen, Kentucky
site of a large clay mining operation. Whalen is situated around
|-
Short’s Station Road and Jack Hinton Road.
| '''Type''' || Former village
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Also known as''' || Short's Station
|-
| '''Named for''' || Joseph R. Whalen, first postmaster
|-
| '''Post office''' || 1884 – April 15, 1949
|-
| '''Railroad''' || Falls of Rough Railroad
|-
| '''Location''' || Short's Station Road and Jack Hinton Road
|}
</div>


In 1886, Whalen had a school house run by Miss Lena Coots. It also had a post office in which
'''Whalen''', otherwise known as '''Short's Station''', is located in the eastern part of [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, about four miles from [[Philpot, Kentucky|Philpot]]. Whalen's post office was established in 1884, and it was a thriving village along the tracks of the Falls of Rough Railroad, and the former site of a large clay mining operation. Whalen is situated around Short's Station Road and Jack Hinton Road.
Joseph R. Whalen was the first post master, and also the community’s
 
namesake. Other early postmasters included, Ambrose
==Post Office and Namesake==
Cundiff, James S. Short, and Emily Whalen. James S. Short was
In 1886, Whalen had a school house run by Miss Lena Coots. It also had a post office in which Joseph R. Whalen was the first postmaster, and also the community's namesake. Other early postmasters included Ambrose Cundiff, James S. Short, and Emily Whalen. James S. Short was the namesake of the train station and synonymous with Whalen, Short's Station.
the namesake of the train station and synonymous with Whalen,
 
Short’s Station. At one point there was a dry-goods store, blacksmith’s
The post office was the central gathering place for men of the neighborhood to discuss politics and world affairs, and to have a good time playing checkers and cards.
shop, the Short’s Station Depot, and of course many
 
farms. The post office was the central gathering place for men
==Businesses==
of the neighborhood to discuss politics, world affairs, and have
At one point there was a dry-goods store, blacksmith's shop, the Short's Station Depot, and of course many farms.
a good time playing checkers and cards.
 
The railroad which ran
==The Railroad==
through Whalen carried passenger and freight trains and at one
The railroad which ran through Whalen carried passenger and freight trains, and at one time it carried up to eight trains a day. The small Short's Station Depot contained a waiting room for passengers, and a ticket and freight office. The passenger line was discontinued in 1941, as was the mail line in 1948.
time it carried up to eight trains a day. The small Short’s Station
 
Depot contained a waiting room for passengers, and a ticket and
==Decline==
freight office. The passenger line was discontinued in 1941 as
Around the 1940s and 1950s, businesses began to close due to improved roads and increased opportunity of transportation and availability of automobiles. The blacksmith shop run by Wallace Estes closed around 1930, and the General Store in 1942. In part due to the decreased rail traffic and businesses closing, the post office closed April 15th, 1949, and until 1980 only freight was carried on the railroad through Whalen.
was the mail line in 1948. Around the 1940s and 1950s, business
 
began to close due to improved roads and increased opportunity
[[File:1886-Whalen.jpg|thumb|left|424x424px|1886 Directory Listing for Whalen]]
of transportation and availably of automobiles. The blacksmith
{{Clear}}
shop ran by Wallace Estes closed around 1930 and the General
Store in 1942. In part due to the decreased rail traffic and business’
closing, the post office closed April 15th, 1949, and until
1980, only freight was carried on the railroad through Whalen.


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Whalen, Kentucky
Type Former village
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Also known as Short's Station
Named for Joseph R. Whalen, first postmaster
Post office 1884 – April 15, 1949
Railroad Falls of Rough Railroad
Location Short's Station Road and Jack Hinton Road

Whalen, otherwise known as Short's Station, is located in the eastern part of Daviess County, Kentucky, about four miles from Philpot. Whalen's post office was established in 1884, and it was a thriving village along the tracks of the Falls of Rough Railroad, and the former site of a large clay mining operation. Whalen is situated around Short's Station Road and Jack Hinton Road.

Post Office and Namesake

In 1886, Whalen had a school house run by Miss Lena Coots. It also had a post office in which Joseph R. Whalen was the first postmaster, and also the community's namesake. Other early postmasters included Ambrose Cundiff, James S. Short, and Emily Whalen. James S. Short was the namesake of the train station and synonymous with Whalen, Short's Station.

The post office was the central gathering place for men of the neighborhood to discuss politics and world affairs, and to have a good time playing checkers and cards.

Businesses

At one point there was a dry-goods store, blacksmith's shop, the Short's Station Depot, and of course many farms.

The Railroad

The railroad which ran through Whalen carried passenger and freight trains, and at one time it carried up to eight trains a day. The small Short's Station Depot contained a waiting room for passengers, and a ticket and freight office. The passenger line was discontinued in 1941, as was the mail line in 1948.

Decline

Around the 1940s and 1950s, businesses began to close due to improved roads and increased opportunity of transportation and availability of automobiles. The blacksmith shop run by Wallace Estes closed around 1930, and the General Store in 1942. In part due to the decreased rail traffic and businesses closing, the post office closed April 15th, 1949, and until 1980 only freight was carried on the railroad through Whalen.

1886 Directory Listing for Whalen