Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Red Hill, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
* '''AKA:''' Andersonville  
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
The community of Red Hill is about fourteen miles from
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
Owensboro and was first known as [[Andersonville]].
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Red Hill, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Also known as''' || Andersonville
|-
| '''Church organized''' || September 9, 1893
|-
| '''Post office''' || 1892-1906 (as Andersonville)
|-
| '''Location''' || About 14 miles from Owensboro on KY 140
|}
</div>
 
'''Red Hill''' is a community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, about fourteen miles from [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]]. It was first known as '''[[Andersonville, Kentucky|Andersonville]]'''.


==Early Settlers==
==Early Settlers==
Some of the early residents, and most noticeable family names, around the area
Some of the early residents, and most noticeable family names around the area, include but are not limited to the Yeisers, Salmons, Cundiffs, Hoovers, Johnsons, and Parks.
include, and are not limited to, the Yeisers, Salmons, Cundiffs,
Hoovers, Johnsons, and Parks.  


==School==
==School==
There was a school house in Red
There was a school house in Red Hill located near the crossroads, named the Red Hill School House. It educated many generations of young people in the community throughout the years until it closed. In 1886, the teacher at the school house was Miss Mollie Dalson.
Hill located near the crossroads and was named Red Hill School
 
House. It educated many generations of young people in the community
In the late 1800s, the school house was also used by Elders Daniel E. Yeiser and B.Y. Cundiff to hold church services. These services were held until September 9th, 1893, when members from [[Sugar Grove Baptist Church|Sugar Grove Baptist]], [[Green Brier Baptist Church|Green Brier Baptist]], and Oak Grove Baptist Churches came together and formed a new church in the neighborhood. This new church would be called [[Red Hill Baptist Church]], after the school house nearby.
throughout the years until it closed. In 1886, the teacher
at the school house was Miss Mollie Dalson. In the late 1800s,
the school house was also used by the Elders Daniel E. Yeiser and
B.Y. Cundiff to hold church services. These services were held
until September 9th, 1893, when members from [[Sugar Grove Baptist]],
[[Green Brier Baptist]], and Oak Grove Baptist Churches came
together and formed a new church in the neighborhood. This new
church would be called [[Red Hill Baptist Church]], after the school
house nearby.  


==General Stores==
==General Stores==
In 1886, there was one general store owned by
In 1886, there was one general store owned by G.O. May. Later in the twentieth century there were two general stores directly across from each other, one owned by the Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores formed an interesting business partnership: when one store did not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the other store for what they needed. Salmon's store shut down in the early 1950s, and Homer Cossler's store closed in the late 1960s or very early 1970s.
G.O. May, and later in the twentieth century, there were two general
stores directly across from each other. One was owned by the
Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores
formed an interesting business partnership. When one store did
not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the
other store for what they needed. Salmon’s store shut down in the
early 1950s and Homer Cossler’s store closed in the late 1960’s
or very early 1970s. Red Hill was also home to William Harold
Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star
and part of the movie industry in Hollywood and a part of Broadway
Theater for years, and is best known for his role in Little
House on the Prairie. Although the community is not as vibrant
as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those
who grew up and lived there.


== Andersonville Post Office ==
==Hal Riddle==
The post office of ''Andersonville,'' which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called ''Red Hill,'' thirteen miles SSE of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county’s several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro’s first bank(established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers.
Red Hill was also home to William Harold Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star and part of the movie industry in Hollywood, and a part of Broadway theater for years, and is best known for his role in ''Little House on the Prairie''.


{| class="wikitable"
Although the community is not as vibrant as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those who grew up and lived there.
 
==Andersonville Post Office==
The post office of ''Andersonville'', which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called ''Red Hill'', thirteen miles SSE of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county's several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro's first bank (established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers.
 
{| style="border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222; font-size:95%;"
|-
|-
! Postmaster !! Appointment Year !! Compensation !! Compensation Year
! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Postmaster !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Appointment Year !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Compensation !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Compensation Year
|-
| Americus F. Davis || 6/30/1892 || $19.79 || 1893
|-
|-
| || || $31.63 || 1895
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | Americus F. Davis || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 6/30/1892 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $19.79 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1893
|-
|-
| || || $37.28 || 1897
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $31.63 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1895
|-
|-
| || || $43.56 || 1899
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $37.28 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1897
|-
|-
| Travis M. Chapel || || ||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $43.56 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1899
|-
|-
| || || $56.73 || 1901
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | Travis M. Chapel || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  
|-
|-
| || || $52.56 || 1903
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $56.73 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1901
|-
|-
| || || $37.69 || 1905
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $52.56 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1903
|-
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" |  || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $37.69 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1905
|}
|}
[[File:1886-Red-Hill.jpg|thumb|left|437x437px|1886 Directory Listing for Red Hill]]
{{Clear}}


[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Red Hill, Kentucky
Type Community
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Also known as Andersonville
Church organized September 9, 1893
Post office 1892-1906 (as Andersonville)
Location About 14 miles from Owensboro on KY 140

Red Hill is a community in Daviess County, Kentucky, about fourteen miles from Owensboro. It was first known as Andersonville.

Early Settlers

Some of the early residents, and most noticeable family names around the area, include but are not limited to the Yeisers, Salmons, Cundiffs, Hoovers, Johnsons, and Parks.

School

There was a school house in Red Hill located near the crossroads, named the Red Hill School House. It educated many generations of young people in the community throughout the years until it closed. In 1886, the teacher at the school house was Miss Mollie Dalson.

In the late 1800s, the school house was also used by Elders Daniel E. Yeiser and B.Y. Cundiff to hold church services. These services were held until September 9th, 1893, when members from Sugar Grove Baptist, Green Brier Baptist, and Oak Grove Baptist Churches came together and formed a new church in the neighborhood. This new church would be called Red Hill Baptist Church, after the school house nearby.

General Stores

In 1886, there was one general store owned by G.O. May. Later in the twentieth century there were two general stores directly across from each other, one owned by the Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores formed an interesting business partnership: when one store did not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the other store for what they needed. Salmon's store shut down in the early 1950s, and Homer Cossler's store closed in the late 1960s or very early 1970s.

Hal Riddle

Red Hill was also home to William Harold Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star and part of the movie industry in Hollywood, and a part of Broadway theater for years, and is best known for his role in Little House on the Prairie.

Although the community is not as vibrant as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those who grew up and lived there.

Andersonville Post Office

The post office of Andersonville, which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called Red Hill, thirteen miles SSE of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county's several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro's first bank (established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers.

Postmaster Appointment Year Compensation Compensation Year
Americus F. Davis 6/30/1892 $19.79 1893
$31.63 1895
$37.28 1897
$43.56 1899
Travis M. Chapel
$56.73 1901
$52.56 1903
$37.69 1905
1886 Directory Listing for Red Hill