Red Hill, Kentucky: Difference between revisions
More actions
No edit summary |
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks |
||
| (2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown) | |||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;"> | |||
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;" | |||
|- | |||
1906 | ! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Red Hill, Kentucky | ||
|- | |||
140 | | '''Type''' || Community | ||
|- | |||
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] | |||
|- | |||
| '''State''' || Kentucky | |||
|- | |||
| '''Also known as''' || Andersonville | |||
|- | |||
| '''Church organized''' || September 9, 1893 | |||
|- | |||
| '''Post office''' || 1892-1906 (as Andersonville) | |||
|- | |||
| '''Location''' || About 14 miles from Owensboro on KY 140 | |||
|} | |||
</div> | |||
'''Red Hill''' is a community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, about fourteen miles from [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]]. It was first known as '''[[Andersonville, Kentucky|Andersonville]]'''. | |||
== | ==Early Settlers== | ||
Some of the early residents, and most noticeable family names around the area, include but are not limited to the Yeisers, Salmons, Cundiffs, Hoovers, Johnsons, and Parks. | |||
===General Stores | ==School== | ||
In 1886, there was one general store owned by | There was a school house in Red Hill located near the crossroads, named the Red Hill School House. It educated many generations of young people in the community throughout the years until it closed. In 1886, the teacher at the school house was Miss Mollie Dalson. | ||
G.O. May | |||
stores directly across from each other | In the late 1800s, the school house was also used by Elders Daniel E. Yeiser and B.Y. Cundiff to hold church services. These services were held until September 9th, 1893, when members from [[Sugar Grove Baptist Church|Sugar Grove Baptist]], [[Green Brier Baptist Church|Green Brier Baptist]], and Oak Grove Baptist Churches came together and formed a new church in the neighborhood. This new church would be called [[Red Hill Baptist Church]], after the school house nearby. | ||
Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores | |||
formed an interesting business partnership | ==General Stores== | ||
not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the | In 1886, there was one general store owned by G.O. May. Later in the twentieth century there were two general stores directly across from each other, one owned by the Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores formed an interesting business partnership: when one store did not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the other store for what they needed. Salmon's store shut down in the early 1950s, and Homer Cossler's store closed in the late 1960s or very early 1970s. | ||
other store for what they needed. | |||
early 1950s and Homer | ==Hal Riddle== | ||
or very early 1970s. Red Hill was also home to William Harold | Red Hill was also home to William Harold Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star and part of the movie industry in Hollywood, and a part of Broadway theater for years, and is best known for his role in ''Little House on the Prairie''. | ||
Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star | |||
and part of the movie industry in Hollywood and a part of Broadway | Although the community is not as vibrant as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those who grew up and lived there. | ||
House on the Prairie. Although the community is not as vibrant | ==Andersonville Post Office== | ||
as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those | The post office of ''Andersonville'', which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called ''Red Hill'', thirteen miles SSE of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county's several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro's first bank (established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers. | ||
who grew up and lived there. | |||
{| style="border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222; font-size:95%;" | |||
|- | |||
! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Postmaster !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Appointment Year !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Compensation !! style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px; background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff;" | Compensation Year | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | Americus F. Davis || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 6/30/1892 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $19.79 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1893 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $31.63 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1895 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $37.28 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1897 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $43.56 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1899 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | Travis M. Chapel || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $56.73 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1901 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $52.56 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1903 | |||
|- | |||
| style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | $37.69 || style="border:1px solid #a2a9b1; padding:4px 8px;" | 1905 | |||
|} | |||
[[File:1886-Red-Hill.jpg|thumb|left|437x437px|1886 Directory Listing for Red Hill]] | |||
{{Clear}} | |||
[[Category:Towns]] | [[Category:Towns]] | ||
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]] | |||
Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026
| Red Hill, Kentucky | |
|---|---|
| Type | Community |
| County | Daviess County |
| State | Kentucky |
| Also known as | Andersonville |
| Church organized | September 9, 1893 |
| Post office | 1892-1906 (as Andersonville) |
| Location | About 14 miles from Owensboro on KY 140 |
Red Hill is a community in Daviess County, Kentucky, about fourteen miles from Owensboro. It was first known as Andersonville.
Early Settlers
Some of the early residents, and most noticeable family names around the area, include but are not limited to the Yeisers, Salmons, Cundiffs, Hoovers, Johnsons, and Parks.
School
There was a school house in Red Hill located near the crossroads, named the Red Hill School House. It educated many generations of young people in the community throughout the years until it closed. In 1886, the teacher at the school house was Miss Mollie Dalson.
In the late 1800s, the school house was also used by Elders Daniel E. Yeiser and B.Y. Cundiff to hold church services. These services were held until September 9th, 1893, when members from Sugar Grove Baptist, Green Brier Baptist, and Oak Grove Baptist Churches came together and formed a new church in the neighborhood. This new church would be called Red Hill Baptist Church, after the school house nearby.
General Stores
In 1886, there was one general store owned by G.O. May. Later in the twentieth century there were two general stores directly across from each other, one owned by the Salmon family and the other by Homer Cossler. These two stores formed an interesting business partnership: when one store did not carry something the customer needed, they were sent to the other store for what they needed. Salmon's store shut down in the early 1950s, and Homer Cossler's store closed in the late 1960s or very early 1970s.
Hal Riddle
Red Hill was also home to William Harold Riddle, better known as Hal Riddle. Riddle was a Hollywood star and part of the movie industry in Hollywood, and a part of Broadway theater for years, and is best known for his role in Little House on the Prairie.
Although the community is not as vibrant as it once was, it is still alive and well in the memory of those who grew up and lived there.
Andersonville Post Office
The post office of Andersonville, which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called Red Hill, thirteen miles SSE of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county's several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro's first bank (established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers.
| Postmaster | Appointment Year | Compensation | Compensation Year |
|---|---|---|---|
| Americus F. Davis | 6/30/1892 | $19.79 | 1893 |
| $31.63 | 1895 | ||
| $37.28 | 1897 | ||
| $43.56 | 1899 | ||
| Travis M. Chapel | |||
| $56.73 | 1901 | ||
| $52.56 | 1903 | ||
| $37.69 | 1905 |
