Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Philpot, Kentucky: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
* AKA: Philpott, Philpott Station
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;">
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;"
|-
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Philpot, Kentucky
|-
| '''Type''' || Unincorporated community
|-
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]]
|-
| '''State''' || Kentucky
|-
| '''Also known as''' || Philpott, Philpott Station
|-
| '''Founded''' || March 1872
|-
| '''Named for''' || Augustus J. Philpott
|-
| '''Post office''' || Established June 1872
|-
| '''Population''' || 42 (1892)
|-
| '''Location''' || Along KY 54
|}
</div>


Philpott and Company, which was made up of Samuel
'''Philpot''', formerly '''Philpott''' or '''Philpott Station''', is an unincorporated community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, extending for several miles along KY 54.
Clements, John Marcus Wagoner, and Augustus J. Philpott,
bought two acres on the Leitchfield Road in March 1872.
There they built a general store, a house and
a blacksmith shop. In June 1872, a post office
was established and named for Philpott.


In 1875 the name was changed to Philpott’s
==Founding==
Station because it was on the stagecoach line
Philpott and Company, which was made up of Samuel Clements, John Marcus Wagoner, and Augustus J. Philpott, bought two acres on the Leitchfield Road in March 1872. There they built a general store, a house and a blacksmith shop. In June 1872 a post office was established and named for Philpott.
between Owensboro and Leitchfield. Later the
name was shortened to Philpot. Founder Augustus
Philpott, operated the town’s first grocery
store and ran an unsuccessful race for the
Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.
By 1874, Philpott had its first physician,
Dr. Samuel J. Harris, and a decade later had
added a flour mill and sawmill. The railroad
from Owensboro to Fordsville was opened
in 1889, and by 1892 the population had increased
to 42 people.


Philpot has never been an incorporated community,
==Name Changes==
but has continued to grow. The establishment
In 1875 the name was changed to Philpott's Station because it was on the stagecoach line between [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]] and Leitchfield. Later the name was shortened to Philpot. Founder Augustus Philpott operated the town's first grocery store and ran an unsuccessful race for the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.
of Premium Allied Tool Company greatly
 
increased employment opportunities, and the
==Growth==
area has developed as a residential suburb of
By 1874, Philpott had its first physician, Dr. Samuel J. Harris, and a decade later had added a flour mill and sawmill. The railroad from Owensboro to Fordsville was opened in 1889, and by 1892 the population had increased to 42 people.
Owensboro. By 2010 Philpot extended for several
 
miles long KY. 54. It is the current site of the
==Philpot Today==
Lion’s Club County Fairgrounds.
Philpot has never been an incorporated community, but has continued to grow. The establishment of Premium Allied Tool Company greatly increased employment opportunities, and the area has developed as a residential suburb of Owensboro. By 2010 Philpot extended for several miles along KY 54. It is the current site of the Lion's Club County Fairgrounds.


==Schools==
==Schools==
Philpot School House
* Philpot School House
Philpot Elementary
* Philpot Elementary


==Churches==
==Churches==
Hopewell
* [[Hopewell Baptist Church]]
Dawson
* [[Dawson Baptist Church]]
 
[[File:1886-Philpot.jpg|thumb|left|432x432px|1886 Directory Listing for Philpot]]
{{Clear}}


''Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges''
''Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges''
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Towns]]
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]]

Latest revision as of 22:57, 26 August 2026

Philpot, Kentucky
Type Unincorporated community
County Daviess County
State Kentucky
Also known as Philpott, Philpott Station
Founded March 1872
Named for Augustus J. Philpott
Post office Established June 1872
Population 42 (1892)
Location Along KY 54

Philpot, formerly Philpott or Philpott Station, is an unincorporated community in Daviess County, Kentucky, extending for several miles along KY 54.

Founding

Philpott and Company, which was made up of Samuel Clements, John Marcus Wagoner, and Augustus J. Philpott, bought two acres on the Leitchfield Road in March 1872. There they built a general store, a house and a blacksmith shop. In June 1872 a post office was established and named for Philpott.

Name Changes

In 1875 the name was changed to Philpott's Station because it was on the stagecoach line between Owensboro and Leitchfield. Later the name was shortened to Philpot. Founder Augustus Philpott operated the town's first grocery store and ran an unsuccessful race for the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1875.

Growth

By 1874, Philpott had its first physician, Dr. Samuel J. Harris, and a decade later had added a flour mill and sawmill. The railroad from Owensboro to Fordsville was opened in 1889, and by 1892 the population had increased to 42 people.

Philpot Today

Philpot has never been an incorporated community, but has continued to grow. The establishment of Premium Allied Tool Company greatly increased employment opportunities, and the area has developed as a residential suburb of Owensboro. By 2010 Philpot extended for several miles along KY 54. It is the current site of the Lion's Club County Fairgrounds.

Schools

  • Philpot School House
  • Philpot Elementary

Churches

1886 Directory Listing for Philpot

Reference to an article by Glenn Hodges