Blue Ruin, Kentucky: Difference between revisions
More actions
m Adam moved page Blue Ruin to Blue Ruin, Kentucky |
Cleanup: add infobox and lead, organize into sections, unwrap OCR line breaks |
||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
<div style="float:right; clear:right; margin:0 0 1em 1em;"> | |||
{| style="width:260px; font-size:90%; border:1px solid #aaa; border-collapse:collapse; background:#ffffff; color:#222222;" | |||
|- | |||
! colspan="2" style="background:#2b4162; color:#ffffff; text-align:center; font-size:115%;" | Blue Ruin, Kentucky | |||
|- | |||
| '''Type''' || Former community | |||
|- | |||
| '''County''' || [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]] | |||
|- | |||
| '''State''' || Kentucky | |||
|- | |||
| '''Established''' || 1868 | |||
|- | |||
| '''Named by''' || Joseph Waltrip | |||
|- | |||
| '''Named for''' || F. M. Austin’s notoriously bad whiskey | |||
|- | |||
| '''Location''' || 4 miles south of West Louisville | |||
|} | |||
</div> | |||
The ''Owensboro Weekly Messenger'' April 24, 1878 stated that it | '''Blue Ruin''' was a community in [[Daviess County, Kentucky|Daviess County]], Kentucky, on the road leading from Calhoun to [[Owensboro, KY|Owensboro]] by way of [[West Louisville, Kentucky|West Louisville]]. | ||
was located about 4 miles south of West Louisville, | |||
miles east of Opossum, and 4 miles west of Slip-up, on the road | ==Origin of the Name== | ||
leading from Calhoun to Owensboro | It was created in 1868 when F.M. Austin started a grocery store at the location. He added whiskey to his stock and it was so bad that the store and surrounding area became known as Blue Ruin. The naming of the community is attributed to Joseph Waltrip. | ||
in Blue Ruin: John Cravens & Co. | |||
James M. Baker with a sign “Murphy Saloon”; Conradus Hyatt, | ==1878 Description== | ||
dealer in old trinkets; former residence of William H. Cravens | The ''Owensboro Weekly Messenger'' of April 24, 1878 stated that it was located about 4 miles south of West Louisville, about 2 miles east of Opossum, and 4 miles west of Slip-up, on the road leading from Calhoun to Owensboro via West Louisville. Buildings in Blue Ruin: John Cravens & Co., “Beer and Ale Dealers”; James M. Baker with a sign “Murphy Saloon”; Conradus Hyatt, dealer in old trinkets; former residence of William H. Cravens, now the headquarters of the police officers; G.P. Austin shanty with the sign “Whiskey by the Quart”; L.H. Vanover, “Restaurant — meals at all hours — day or night — eggs by the bucket full.” | ||
now the headquarters of the | |||
with the sign “Whiskey by the Quart”; L.H. Vanover | |||
meals at all | |||
[[Category:Towns]] | [[Category:Towns]] | ||
[[Category:Daviess County, Kentucky]] | |||
Latest revision as of 22:35, 26 August 2026
| Blue Ruin, Kentucky | |
|---|---|
| Type | Former community |
| County | Daviess County |
| State | Kentucky |
| Established | 1868 |
| Named by | Joseph Waltrip |
| Named for | F. M. Austin’s notoriously bad whiskey |
| Location | 4 miles south of West Louisville |
Blue Ruin was a community in Daviess County, Kentucky, on the road leading from Calhoun to Owensboro by way of West Louisville.
Origin of the Name
It was created in 1868 when F.M. Austin started a grocery store at the location. He added whiskey to his stock and it was so bad that the store and surrounding area became known as Blue Ruin. The naming of the community is attributed to Joseph Waltrip.
1878 Description
The Owensboro Weekly Messenger of April 24, 1878 stated that it was located about 4 miles south of West Louisville, about 2 miles east of Opossum, and 4 miles west of Slip-up, on the road leading from Calhoun to Owensboro via West Louisville. Buildings in Blue Ruin: John Cravens & Co., “Beer and Ale Dealers”; James M. Baker with a sign “Murphy Saloon”; Conradus Hyatt, dealer in old trinkets; former residence of William H. Cravens, now the headquarters of the police officers; G.P. Austin shanty with the sign “Whiskey by the Quart”; L.H. Vanover, “Restaurant — meals at all hours — day or night — eggs by the bucket full.”