Toggle menu
Toggle preferences menu
Toggle personal menu
Not logged in
Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits.

Knottsville Free Public Library: Difference between revisions

From History of Owensboro
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
Originally the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed, and a lot secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County.
[[File:Knottsville_Free_Public_Library.jpg|thumb|right|Knottville Free Public Library]]


'''Source:''' ''First Biennial Report, KY Library Extension Division'' 1910-1911
Originally, this was the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed and a lot was secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County.
 
'''Source:''' ''First Biennial Report, KY Library Extension Division'' 1910-1911  
'''Source:''' ''The Public Library Bulletin, No.1'' Aug. 1901 - Jan. 1902
'''Source:''' ''The Public Library Bulletin, No.1'' Aug. 1901 - Jan. 1902

Revision as of 03:18, 26 September 2016

Knottville Free Public Library

Originally, this was the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed and a lot was secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County.

Source: First Biennial Report, KY Library Extension Division 1910-1911 Source: The Public Library Bulletin, No.1 Aug. 1901 - Jan. 1902