Knottsville Free Public Library: Difference between revisions
More actions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
[[File:Knottsville_Free_Public_Library.jpg|thumb|right|Knottville Free Public Library]] | [[File:Knottsville_Free_Public_Library.jpg|thumb|right|Knottville Free Public Library]] | ||
[[File:Knottsville_Free_Library.jpg|thumb|right|Knottsville Free Public Library]] | |||
Originally, this was the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed and a lot was secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County. | Originally, this was the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed and a lot was secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County. | ||
Revision as of 12:34, 26 September 2016


Originally, this was the St. William parish library until growth required a new building. The Knottsville Library Association was formed and a lot was secured for building of the library circa 1901. The original cost to build was about $2,000, with all lumber and labor being donated. The library was a two-story frame structure, 60 ft. x 30 ft., and stood on the lot which later held the first St. William School. This library housed nearly 2,000 bound volumes, 5,000 pamphlets and magazines, and 300 children's books in addition to a small museum. The upper story contained a stage and accessories. The lower level housed the library as well as the museum, which covered one fourth of the wall and floor space. Operated as a free public library, funds were raised for it's operation through association membership dues of 50 cents per year or a $10.00 lifetime contribution by cash, work, or book donations. Funds were also raised through picnics, entertainments, and renting of the hall. A major benefactor of the library was Knottsville native William T. Ellis, who donated nearly 500 volumes nearing completion of the library. In 1911, the librarian was Mrs. Anna Hamilton. The site of the former library is located near the corner of Highway 144 and Monarch Road in Daviess County.
Source: First Biennial Report, KY Library Extension Division 1910-1911
Source: The Public Library Bulletin, No.1 Aug. 1901 - Jan. 1902