<?xml version="1.0"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en">
	<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Owensboro_Armory</id>
	<title>Owensboro Armory - Revision history</title>
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Owensboro_Armory"/>
	<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Owensboro_Armory&amp;action=history"/>
	<updated>2026-08-21T13:44:02Z</updated>
	<subtitle>Revision history for this page on the wiki</subtitle>
	<generator>MediaWiki 1.46.0</generator>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Owensboro_Armory&amp;diff=15325&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam: Add Demolition section; update current_use; add newspaper citation</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Owensboro_Armory&amp;diff=15325&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2026-04-04T03:34:03Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;Add Demolition section; update current_use; add newspaper citation&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 03:34, 4 April 2026&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l13&quot;&gt;Line 13:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 13:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|material     = Brick walls, concrete slab foundation, metal roof&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|material     = Brick walls, concrete slab foundation, metal roof&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|owner        = Commonwealth of Kentucky (Kentucky National Guard)&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|owner        = Commonwealth of Kentucky (Kentucky National Guard)&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|current_use  = &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Military / Community center&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|current_use  = &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Demolished (2012)&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|nrhp_ref     = 02000919&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|nrhp_ref     = 02000919&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|nrhp_date    = 2002&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;|nrhp_date    = 2002&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l57&quot;&gt;Line 57:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 57:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The property has not been moved from its original site and has not been heavily altered, preserving its recognizable armory character.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The property has not been moved from its original site and has not been heavily altered, preserving its recognizable armory character.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;==Demolition==&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;The Owensboro City Commission voted in late June 2012 to demolish the armory and replace it with a $1 million indoor tennis center. The Owensboro-Daviess County Tennis Association proposed to raise $500,000 — half the total cost — to fund a four- to six-court facility, with the city contributing the other half. The commission rejected an alternative request by the Elizabeth Munday Senior Center to reserve the land for a new senior center.&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Demolition began September 12, 2012. Klenck Co. of Evansville served as general contractor at a cost of $140,308. Work was conducted Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., with access via Parkview Drive for debris removal. The contract required substantial completion by October 13 and full completion by October 31, 2012. Any development on the site was also required to accommodate a 1.2-acre stormwater detention basin to address flooding in the area.&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==References==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==References==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;*&quot;Demolition of former National Guard Armory begins today.&quot; &#039;&#039;Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer&#039;&#039;, September 12, 2012.&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;*Carothers, Kate. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Owensboro Armory (DA-OB-131)&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Kentucky Archaeological Survey, 1999.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;*Carothers, Kate. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Owensboro Armory (DA-OB-131)&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Kentucky Archaeological Survey, 1999.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;*Dew, Lee A. and Aloma W. Bowling. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;Owensboro: The City on the Yellow Banks&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Rivendell Publications, 1988.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;*Dew, Lee A. and Aloma W. Bowling. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;Owensboro: The City on the Yellow Banks&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Rivendell Publications, 1988.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Owensboro_Armory&amp;diff=15318&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam: Create Owensboro Armory article from NRHP nomination form (DA-OB-131)</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Owensboro_Armory&amp;diff=15318&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2026-04-04T03:05:25Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;Create Owensboro Armory article from NRHP nomination form (DA-OB-131)&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;New page&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt;{{Infobox NRHP&lt;br /&gt;
|name         = Owensboro Armory&lt;br /&gt;
|image        = Owensboro Armory exterior.jpg&lt;br /&gt;
|caption      = North elevation of the Owensboro Armory, c. 1998&lt;br /&gt;
|address      = 1501 Parrish Ave.&lt;br /&gt;
|city         = Owensboro&lt;br /&gt;
|state        = Kentucky&lt;br /&gt;
|zip          = 42301&lt;br /&gt;
|built        = 1948&lt;br /&gt;
|architect    = Fred Elswick, Louisville&lt;br /&gt;
|builder      = Wehr Construction Co., Louisville&lt;br /&gt;
|style        = Modern Movement&lt;br /&gt;
|material     = Brick walls, concrete slab foundation, metal roof&lt;br /&gt;
|owner        = Commonwealth of Kentucky (Kentucky National Guard)&lt;br /&gt;
|current_use  = Military / Community center&lt;br /&gt;
|nrhp_ref     = 02000919&lt;br /&gt;
|nrhp_date    = 2002&lt;br /&gt;
|significance = Criteria A (historic events) and C (architecture)&lt;br /&gt;
|period       = 1948–1949&lt;br /&gt;
}}&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The &amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Owensboro Armory&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; (site number DA-OB-131) is a National Guard armory located at 1501 Parrish Avenue in [[Owensboro]], Kentucky. Completed in 1948, the building was designed by Louisville architect Fred Elswick and constructed by the Wehr Construction Company. It was listed on the [[National Register of Historic Places]] in 2002 as part of the multiple property submission &amp;#039;&amp;#039;Kentucky&amp;#039;s National Guard Facilities, 1931–1951&amp;#039;&amp;#039;.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
==Description==&lt;br /&gt;
The Owensboro Armory is a large two-story red brick building on a raised concrete basement, situated on approximately 6.6 acres along a major residential thoroughfare. The building is U-shaped in plan, with a barrel-vaulted drill hall rising above and behind the administrative section.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The north elevation features a symmetrical facade with a central entrance flanked on either side by two round towers with dentil molding above the doors. Darker brick surrounds the first- and second-story windows, and a thin limestone band runs directly above and below those windows on the administrative section. The central section is flanked by two four-bay wings.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The armory consists of five levels:&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Basement&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — Includes four garage bays and metal light windows, used as the OMS (Organizational Maintenance Shop)&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Sub-basement&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — Originally intended as a bomb shelter; not currently used due to flooding during heavy rains&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;First and second floors&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — Primarily offices and classrooms&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Drill hall floor&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — Situated midway between the first and second floors&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
===Interior===&lt;br /&gt;
The interior features tiled and concrete floors, concrete block walls, and dropped plaster and acoustic tile ceilings. The entry hall walls are covered in ceramic tile. The drill hall retains its original hardwood floor, which sits in a shallow pit supported by crossbeams. An elevator was added in the 1970s to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Original twelve-paned metal casement and multi-light windows survive on the administrative section; the original windows in the drill hall have largely been replaced with glass block.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
==History==&lt;br /&gt;
A National Guard unit has been present in Owensboro since the 1940s, when they were known as &amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Company I, 149th Regimental Combat Team (Infantry)&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. The Owensboro Armory was completed in 1948 and shares a nearly identical design with the Ashland Armory, also built under the same statewide program.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
On opening night, a teen dance was held in the drill hall, beginning a long tradition of the armory serving as a community gathering place. Notable military units subsequently stationed here include:&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 201st Engineer Battalion&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — stationed in Owensboro until 1959, when transferred to Ashland&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Company A, 240th Tank Battalion&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; (1955–1959) — commanded by future U.S. Senator [[Wendell H. Ford]]&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Owensboro National Guard unit was activated during the [[Berlin Crisis]] but was not deployed for overseas combat. The armory&amp;#039;s current unit is the Headquarters and Headquarters Company of the 2/123rd Armor.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
===Community Use===&lt;br /&gt;
Beyond its military function, the armory has served as a community center throughout its history. Activities have included dances, basketball and volleyball leagues (YMCA and intramural), home basketball games for Majesty High School, practices for Owensboro High School, state police fitness classes, karate classes, and meetings for ROTC, Boy Scouts, and veterans organizations.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
==Significance==&lt;br /&gt;
The Owensboro Armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 under Criteria A and C:&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Criterion A&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — For its association with the history of military presence and community life in Owensboro&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Criterion C&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; — As a representative example of the Modern Movement in armory architecture, retaining integrity of location, setting, materials, design, and association&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The property has not been moved from its original site and has not been heavily altered, preserving its recognizable armory character.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
==References==&lt;br /&gt;
*Carothers, Kate. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Owensboro Armory (DA-OB-131)&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Kentucky Archaeological Survey, 1999.&lt;br /&gt;
*Dew, Lee A. and Aloma W. Bowling. &amp;#039;&amp;#039;Owensboro: The City on the Yellow Banks&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Rivendell Publications, 1988.&lt;br /&gt;
*&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Historical Annual of the National Guard of the Commonwealth of Kentucky&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. Army and Navy Publishing Company, 1938.&lt;br /&gt;
*Interview with SGT. Ray Westerfield, January 28, 1998.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
[[Category:Buildings]]&lt;br /&gt;
[[Category:National Register of Historic Places]]&lt;/div&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
</feed>