<?xml version="1.0"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en">
	<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Grissom%27s_Landing</id>
	<title>Grissom&#039;s Landing - Revision history</title>
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Grissom%27s_Landing"/>
	<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;action=history"/>
	<updated>2026-08-21T15:12:23Z</updated>
	<subtitle>Revision history for this page on the wiki</subtitle>
	<generator>MediaWiki 1.46.0</generator>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=690&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 22:16, 4 October 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=690&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-10-04T22:16:35Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 22:16, 4 October 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l1&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;[[File:&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Grissoms_Landing_Directory_1886&lt;/del&gt;.jpg|thumb|right|1886 Directory Listing for Grissom&#039;s Landing]]&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;[[File:&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1886-Grissoms-landing&lt;/ins&gt;.jpg|thumb|right|1886 Directory Listing for Grissom&#039;s Landing]]&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==Namesake==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==Namesake==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The town was named after Alfred Grissom who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The town was named after Alfred Grissom who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=527&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 17:41, 26 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=527&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-26T17:41:14Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 17:41, 26 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l14&quot;&gt;Line 14:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 14:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890 since that would help them transport whiskey via the railroad.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890 since that would help them transport whiskey via the railroad.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[File:Grissom_Landing_Sale.jpg|thumb|right|The Messenger, Thursday Jan 24, 1904 - Land Sale at Grissom Landing]]&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots.  One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots.  One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=505&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 01:23, 26 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=505&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-26T01:23:02Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 01:23, 26 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l1&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[File:Grissoms_Landing_Directory_1886.jpg|thumb|right|1886 Directory Listing for Grissom&#039;s Landing]]&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==Namesake==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==Namesake==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The town was named after Alfred Grissom who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The town was named after Alfred Grissom who settled in the area in 1856. He originally came to Daviess County in 1828/29 and first settled in Owensboro and worked as a tailor. In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis. His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home there.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=503&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 00:51, 26 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=503&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-26T00:51:58Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 00:51, 26 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l1&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It &lt;/del&gt;was named &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;in 1856 for &lt;/del&gt;Alfred Grissom who &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;was a tailor &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Owensboro for many years.  [[Thomas Monarch]] became Postmaster &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; The name changed &lt;/del&gt;to &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Grissom &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham &lt;/del&gt;and &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1899 it closed &lt;/del&gt;and &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;papers transferred to [[Stanley]]&lt;/del&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;==Namesake==&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Monarch at Grissom’s Landing&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; He was a member of a family that had been &lt;/del&gt;in the &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; &lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;The town &lt;/ins&gt;was named &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;after &lt;/ins&gt;Alfred Grissom who &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;settled &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;the area &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1856&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;He originally came &lt;/ins&gt;to &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Daviess County &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1828/29 &lt;/ins&gt;and &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;first settled &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Owensboro &lt;/ins&gt;and &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;worked as a tailor&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Louis&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;His last 18 years were &lt;/ins&gt;in the &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Old Folks Home there&lt;/ins&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;== &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Eagle Distillery &lt;/del&gt;==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s &lt;/del&gt;Landing&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;.  According to &lt;/del&gt;the &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1876 Atlas map&lt;/del&gt;, &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; &lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;==&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Town Information&lt;/ins&gt;==&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;A steamboat landing, at which the mail boats would make regular stops, was within a few hundred yards of the distillery.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Grissom&#039;s &lt;/ins&gt;Landing &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;is situated on &lt;/ins&gt;the &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Ohio River&lt;/ins&gt;, &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;nine miles below Owensboro&lt;/ins&gt;.  &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;The Eagle Distillery was at this location in 1880.  T. G. Monarch started the distillery and soon his “Old Tom Monarch” whiskey became the “synonym for the purest and most inspiring liquor”.  It was a three story brick building some 200 yards from the river.  On the roof was a cupola used for ventilation.  There was an observatory on top of the main building.  Atop it was a giant golden eagle with wings extended.  Along the side of the building was a 70 foot brick smokestack.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;On the front of the building, a triangular window represented three barrel heads.  On the top were the words “T. J. Monarch, old fashion handmade sour mash fire copper whiskey”.  The left barrel said, “Eagle Distilling Company, registered distillery No. 8.  The right barrel stated “Imperial handmade sour mash whiskey”.  Each corner of the building was crowned with a large iron whiskey barrel surmounted by a jug.  It was probably the most elaborate distillery ever seen in Daviess County.      There were also two stores, a hotel, and a U.S. Express Company Agency.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1874, the Owensboro Monitor stated that Grissom Landing did not “show off” well from the river and would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village. It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere composed of &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Messers&lt;/ins&gt;, Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1874, the Owensboro Monitor stated that Grissom Landing did not “show off” well from the river and would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; It takes its name from Esquire H. Grissom, whose farm lies directly at the lower and original landing.  He resided in Owensboro before he moved.  In 1874 nearly 2000 barrels of whiskey was manufactured and it would be the same in 1875 if enough grain could be procured.  The large bonded warehouse in connection with the distillery contained 17,000 barrels of whiskey.  The whiskey was moved to the river for transporting by a rail car that was propelled by a stationary engine in the distillery and runs to the river, about 500 yards distance, and does in one day what takes two teams and a half dozen men before in a week.  Numerous barges of corn were unloaded there for the distillery and hundreds of barrels of bourbon whiskey were sent up and down the river on steamer.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere composed of &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Messrs&lt;/del&gt;, Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;As of 1883, there &lt;/ins&gt;were two stores&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;, a hotel, post office, and U&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;S&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Express Company agency&lt;/ins&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;There &lt;/del&gt;were two stores &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;in the village that contained many articles usually kept for sale at retail country stores&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; T&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;J&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Monarch had just completed his residence &lt;/del&gt;and &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;was one &lt;/del&gt;of &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;the most handsome &lt;/del&gt;in the &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;county&lt;/del&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;.  The road consisted of dirt and in &lt;/del&gt;the &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;winter became quite muddy. They wanted to move some whiskey out by &lt;/del&gt;railroad.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;In 1888, the railroad was being built through [[Stanley]] &lt;/ins&gt;and &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;most of this town moved there. &lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;The road consisted &lt;/ins&gt;of &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;dirt and &lt;/ins&gt;in the &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;winter became quite muddy&lt;/ins&gt;. The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890 &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;since that would help them transport whiskey via &lt;/ins&gt;the railroad.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots.  One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots.  One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;After Stanley was being built &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1888, most of the village moved since the railroad was coming in.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;People would still get on packet boats passing on the Ohio River after the distillery closed down.  &lt;/del&gt;William &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;J&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;and Lee Foster were some of many &lt;/del&gt;to &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;use the boats.  They left &lt;/del&gt;Grissom &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Landing &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;June 1918 to travel to Evansville for their honeymoon&lt;/del&gt;. &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt; The boats &lt;/del&gt;were &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;much like &lt;/del&gt;the &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;railroads as you could flag a boat down at any landing&lt;/del&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;===Post Office===&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived &lt;/del&gt;in &lt;del style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;St. Louis.  His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home in St. Louis.  The town was named after Alfred Grissom.&lt;/del&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[Thomas Monarch]] became Postmaster &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and &lt;/ins&gt;William &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Grissom&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;The name changed &lt;/ins&gt;to Grissom in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;1895&lt;/ins&gt;. &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;James Ralston, Richard Graham, and Richard Monarch &lt;/ins&gt;were the &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to [[Stanley]]&lt;/ins&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;==Businesses &lt;/ins&gt;in &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;Oakford Precinct==&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;* [[Eagle Distillery]]&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;[[Category:Towns]]&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;[[Category:Towns]]&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=245&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam: Adam moved page Grissom Landing to Grissom&#039;s Landing: Corrected Name</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=245&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-16T22:07:40Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;Adam moved page &lt;a href=&quot;/index.php/Grissom_Landing&quot; class=&quot;mw-redirect&quot; title=&quot;Grissom Landing&quot;&gt;Grissom Landing&lt;/a&gt; to &lt;a href=&quot;/index.php/Grissom%27s_Landing&quot; title=&quot;Grissom&amp;#039;s Landing&quot;&gt;Grissom&amp;#039;s Landing&lt;/a&gt;: Corrected Name&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;1&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;1&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 22:07, 16 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-notice&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;&lt;div class=&quot;mw-diff-empty&quot;&gt;(No difference)&lt;/div&gt;
&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=69&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Jsims at 12:30, 12 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=69&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-12T12:30:49Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 12:30, 12 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l1&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro for many years.  [[Thomas Monarch]] became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom.  The name changed to Grissom in 1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to Stanley.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro for many years.  [[Thomas Monarch]] became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom.  The name changed to Grissom in 1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[&lt;/ins&gt;Stanley&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;]]&lt;/ins&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J. Monarch at Grissom’s Landing.  He was a member of a family that had been in the distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J. Monarch at Grissom’s Landing.  He was a member of a family that had been in the distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;== Eagle Distillery ==&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s Landing.  According to the 1876 Atlas map, the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s Landing.  According to the 1876 Atlas map, the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;A steamboat landing, at which the mail boats would make regular stops, was within a few hundred yards of the distillery.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;A steamboat landing, at which the mail boats would make regular stops, was within a few hundred yards of the distillery.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Jsims</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=65&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 02:48, 12 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=65&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-12T02:48:04Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 02:48, 12 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l1&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 1:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;−&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #ffe49c; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro for many years.  Thomas Monarch became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom.  The name changed to Grissom in 1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to Stanley.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro for many years.  &lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[&lt;/ins&gt;Thomas Monarch&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;]] &lt;/ins&gt;became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom.  The name changed to Grissom in 1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to Stanley.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J. Monarch at Grissom’s Landing.  He was a member of a family that had been in the distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J. Monarch at Grissom’s Landing.  He was a member of a family that had been in the distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s Landing.  According to the 1876 Atlas map, the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s Landing.  According to the 1876 Atlas map, the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier.   &lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=52&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam at 14:20, 11 September 2016</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=52&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-11T14:20:13Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;table style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122;&quot; data-mw-interface=&quot;&quot;&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;col class=&quot;diff-content&quot; /&gt;
				&lt;tr class=&quot;diff-title&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;← Older revision&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; style=&quot;background-color: #fff; color: #202122; text-align: center;&quot;&gt;Revision as of 14:20, 11 September 2016&lt;/td&gt;
				&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot; id=&quot;mw-diff-left-l13&quot;&gt;Line 13:&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-lineno&quot;&gt;Line 13:&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;People would still get on packet boats passing on the Ohio River after the distillery closed down.  William J. and Lee Foster were some of many to use the boats.  They left Grissom Landing in June 1918 to travel to Evansville for their honeymoon.  The boats were much like the railroads as you could flag a boat down at any landing.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;People would still get on packet boats passing on the Ohio River after the distillery closed down.  William J. and Lee Foster were some of many to use the boats.  They left Grissom Landing in June 1918 to travel to Evansville for their honeymoon.  The boats were much like the railroads as you could flag a boat down at any landing.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis.  His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home in St. Louis.  The town was named after Alfred Grissom.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;background-color: #f8f9fa; color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #eaecf0; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis.  His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home in St. Louis.  The town was named after Alfred Grissom.&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td colspan=&quot;2&quot; class=&quot;diff-side-deleted&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;diff-marker&quot; data-marker=&quot;+&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td style=&quot;color: #202122; font-size: 88%; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 4px; border-radius: 0.33em; border-color: #a3d3ff; vertical-align: top; white-space: pre-wrap;&quot;&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;ins style=&quot;font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;[[Category:Towns]]&lt;/ins&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<id>http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=14&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>Adam: Created page with &quot;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro fo...&quot;</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://wiki.historyofowensboro.com/index.php?title=Grissom%27s_Landing&amp;diff=14&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2016-09-10T19:34:40Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;Created page with &amp;quot;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro fo...&amp;quot;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;New page&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt;Grissom’s Landing was located 10 miles northwest of Owensboro on the Ohio River in Oakford Precinct. It was named in 1856 for Alfred Grissom who was a tailor in Owensboro for many years.  Thomas Monarch became Postmaster in 1868 for 20 years followed by James Mattingly and William Grissom.  The name changed to Grissom in 1895.  James Ralston, Richard Graham and Richard Monarch were the last Postmasters until in 1899 it closed and papers transferred to Stanley.&lt;br /&gt;
One of the largest and best distilleries of Daviess County was that of Thomas J. Monarch at Grissom’s Landing.  He was a member of a family that had been in the distillery business for 5 generations traced back to the Revolutionary War.  &lt;br /&gt;
In 1868, Mr. Monarch built his distillery at Grissom’s Landing.  According to the 1876 Atlas map, the place was formerly known as “Bunch’s Bend” and had been a site of an old distillery earlier.  It had been abandoned years earlier.  &lt;br /&gt;
A steamboat landing, at which the mail boats would make regular stops, was within a few hundred yards of the distillery.&lt;br /&gt;
The Eagle Distillery was at this location in 1880.  T. G. Monarch started the distillery and soon his “Old Tom Monarch” whiskey became the “synonym for the purest and most inspiring liquor”.  It was a three story brick building some 200 yards from the river.  On the roof was a cupola used for ventilation.  There was an observatory on top of the main building.  Atop it was a giant golden eagle with wings extended.  Along the side of the building was a 70 foot brick smokestack.&lt;br /&gt;
On the front of the building, a triangular window represented three barrel heads.  On the top were the words “T. J. Monarch, old fashion handmade sour mash fire copper whiskey”.  The left barrel said, “Eagle Distilling Company, registered distillery No. 8.  The right barrel stated “Imperial handmade sour mash whiskey”.  Each corner of the building was crowned with a large iron whiskey barrel surmounted by a jug.  It was probably the most elaborate distillery ever seen in Daviess County.      There were also two stores, a hotel, and a U.S. Express Company Agency.&lt;br /&gt;
In 1874, the Owensboro Monitor stated that Grissom Landing did not “show off” well from the river and would not suspect that up the bank is a good sized village.  It takes its name from Esquire H. Grissom, whose farm lies directly at the lower and original landing.  He resided in Owensboro before he moved.  In 1874 nearly 2000 barrels of whiskey was manufactured and it would be the same in 1875 if enough grain could be procured.  The large bonded warehouse in connection with the distillery contained 17,000 barrels of whiskey.  The whiskey was moved to the river for transporting by a rail car that was propelled by a stationary engine in the distillery and runs to the river, about 500 yards distance, and does in one day what takes two teams and a half dozen men before in a week.  Numerous barges of corn were unloaded there for the distillery and hundreds of barrels of bourbon whiskey were sent up and down the river on steamer.&lt;br /&gt;
It is noted that the village could boast of one of the best string bands to be found anywhere composed of Messrs, Gaw, Mattingly, Price and others.&lt;br /&gt;
There were two stores in the village that contained many articles usually kept for sale at retail country stores.  T. J. Monarch had just completed his residence and was one of the most handsome in the county.&lt;br /&gt;
The Monarch family helped to build the Grissom Landing rock roads to Stanley after 1890.  The road consisted of dirt and in the winter became quite muddy. They wanted to move some whiskey out by railroad.&lt;br /&gt;
In January 1904, there was a Master Commissioners sale of Grissom Landing Farms, Hotel and lots.  One tract had 50 acres; one tract had an acre with hotel, and one tract with an old mill.&lt;br /&gt;
After Stanley was being built in 1888, most of the village moved since the railroad was coming in.&lt;br /&gt;
People would still get on packet boats passing on the Ohio River after the distillery closed down.  William J. and Lee Foster were some of many to use the boats.  They left Grissom Landing in June 1918 to travel to Evansville for their honeymoon.  The boats were much like the railroads as you could flag a boat down at any landing.&lt;br /&gt;
In February 1930, Alfred Grissom lived in St. Louis.  His last 18 years were in the Old Folks Home in St. Louis.  The town was named after Alfred Grissom.&lt;/div&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>Adam</name></author>
	</entry>
</feed>