William S. Hazel

From History of Owensboro
Jump to navigation Jump to search

William S. Hazel, of Knottsville, son of R.H. Hazel, was born in Knottsville, Feb. 20, 1853. He was educated in Cecilian College, of Hardin County, this State. In 1872 and 1873 he clerked on the wharf-boat of Triplett, Bacon & Co., of Owensboro; came to Knottsville in 1874, and clerked for Dr. Drury, and was at the same time engaged in the insurance agency. In 1875 he worked on a farm, and in 1876 he engaged in the mercantile business with C.O. Clements, in Knottsville. In 1878 Clements sold to J.W. McJohnston, of Owensboro, who continued with Mr. Hazel as a partner until August, 1880, when he sold his interests to the latter. Mr. Hazel continued the business until Oct. 8, 1882, when he sold it to Ignatius A. Aull, he still owning the undertaker’s department.

Mr. Hazel erected a small grist-mill at Knottsville in 1881, but sold it and built a larger one in 1882, which we describe elsewhere in this work.

He married Agnes L. Clements, daughter of C.O. Clements, of Knottsville. They have two children – Chloe and Joseph B. Mr. Hazel is Deputy County Clerk and a Catholic Knight; also member of the N.M.B.A.

Source: History of Daviess County, Kentucky. Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co., 1883. Print.