J. H. Gray
Prof. J. H. Gray, son of Thomas W. and Susan (Fry) Gray, both natives of Virginia, was born in Elkton, Todd Co., Ky., April 9, 1824. His father was a merchant and farmer. When nine years of age his parents moved on a farm; remained two years and then went to Louisville, where his father became a merchant. He died in 1842. J.H. attended school at Louisville, and also at Georgetown College, Kentucky. Took up teaching near Frankfort; then had charge of an Academy in Burlington; went back to Louisville, taught in that neighborhood seven or eight years; then went to Russellville, Ky., and taught mathematics in Bethel College seven years; then came to Owensboro in 1869 and took charge of Central Baptist Institute, now the Upper Ward school building, for two years; sold out to the town, on account of graded public schools. He was engaged as Superintendent of Public Schools, which he organized and conducted two years. He then taught a private school here one year, and returned to Bethel College and taught mathematics eight years. Returned in the summer of 1882 and started a private classical school on Bolivar street. He has thirty-eight scholars, and is doing well. He was married May 8, 1861, to Miss Fannie Wirt Fry, daughter of W.W. Fry, of Louisville, Ky. They had eight children, four living – Fannie W., Leslie Walker, Herbert S. and Eugenia D. Prof. and Mrs. Gray are both members of the Baptist Church. Politically he is a Democrat.
Source: History of Daviess County, Kentucky. Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co., 1883. Print.